• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice for millys crate

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
got millys crate today :D

would now like to fit a shelf to give her another level to play

Not very DIY savvy so would like to know what the best wood to use and also how do i fit it on through the bars?:wave:

When we did ours we got some wood battens that fitted through the bars and cut four lengths slightly longer than the width of the crate and put screws in each end, then put a piece of wood cut to the size of the crate on top just resting on the battens. To make a ladder you need a piece of wood cut to the right size and then strips of wood across at intervals or some carpet, just something to give grip. We put ours on with hinges so that they could be lifted to sweep underneath.

Thats what i will do!

What wood did u use? xxx

I can't remember. I know if was proper wood and not chipboard but as to what sort I don't know. We put lino on ours as well to protect the wood and edging round the, well, edge.

We put a shelf into our crate, it was really easy. Use the 2x1 cross struts and balance the shelf on top - personally I'd avoid MDF (the dust is quite toxic for humans as well!)

we used thick ply wood for the shelf, they've not chewed it,

Ours never got used to the ramp so i built a cube which they jump onto and off. I also put a couple of holes through the sides so it doubles as a tunnel / hidey hole.

Back