• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal Run - Covering with Wire

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone:):)

Two years ago I bought two Trixie outdoor metal runs which are large from Zooplus. I've hardly used them due to the safety risks.

This year I'd like to cover them with mesh so they are safe for the rabbits.

I've got a couple of questions I need help with - how do you attach the mesh to the run and what mesh did you use? Also does anyone leave their rabbits unattended in the runs since they been covered with mesh?

Also it would be good to see some photos of other peoples' runs covered in mesh.

Thanks in advance:wave::wave:

I have a couple of different Trixie runs but I use them indoors.

The most important thing for meshing them is to make them 100% escape proof and predator proof, so you need a strong mesh that they can't chew and a predator can't chew.

They are quite lightweight so you would need to dig them into the ground with the ground poles if yours came with them, or invest in some if not, so the bunnies can't get out and predators can't squeeze under to get in.

My other main concern with the Trixie runs would be the joins at the corners etc - you would definitely need to reinforce these.

Is it the one with a lid or does it just have one of those fabric lids?

I personally wouldn't leave a rabbit outdoors in them unattended, but I am sure that if you adapted them you could find a way.

However with the amount you'd spend on mesh and reinforcements, it might be cheaper to buy a sturdier run with a wooden frame, and attached the Trixie run to it while you're around to supervise, then just put them in the sturdy run when you're out :)

I have a couple of different Trixie runs but I use them indoors.

The most important thing for meshing them is to make them 100% escape proof and predator proof, so you need a strong mesh that they can't chew and a predator can't chew.

They are quite lightweight so you would need to dig them into the ground with the ground poles if yours came with them, or invest in some if not, so the bunnies can't get out and predators can't squeeze under to get in.

My other main concern with the Trixie runs would be the joins at the corners etc - you would definitely need to reinforce these.

Is it the one with a lid or does it just have one of those fabric lids?

I personally wouldn't leave a rabbit outdoors in them unattended, but I am sure that if you adapted them you could find a way.

However with the amount you'd spend on mesh and reinforcements, it might be cheaper to buy a sturdier run with a wooden frame, and attached the Trixie run to it while you're around to supervise, then just put them in the sturdy run when you're out :)

My trixie runs have got roofs. I've reinforced every join with cable ties and I've bought extra pegs. I've got wooden runs which the rabbits use everyday. It just seems a waste to have the runs sitting in the shed. I think I'll cover the runs in mesh but I won't leave the rabbits unattended.

My trixie runs have got roofs. I've reinforced every join with cable ties and I've bought extra pegs. I've got wooden runs which the rabbits use everyday. It just seems a waste to have the runs sitting in the shed. I think I'll cover the runs in mesh but I won't leave the rabbits unattended.

I would just join it to your existing runs then and make a massive run for them when you can supervise :D

you should attach the wire with cable ties (aka zip strips) any mesh will be fine, chicken wire may be best as its in a roll so its more slexible

you should attach the wire with cable ties (aka zip strips) any mesh will be fine, chicken wire may be best as its in a roll so its more f
f
lexible

:wave: Hi, I understand peoples dislike of these runs but having said that I don't have a problem with them.
I have two, the first one I bought two years ago, I was concerned about the rabbits/foxes ability to lift the run so I placed paving slabs on each corner. The bars or should I say the gap between became a prob when I caught a fox with it's snout through the bars trying to eat one of my buns!!! That was when I meshed the sides and the bottom! I used wire mess I bought on the internet, it's not as strong as the stuff you use on hutches but it's stronger than chicken wire. I attached it using flexable wire I bought from a hardware shop and weaved it on.
My runs are permanent and fixed to the rabbit house, which offers extra stability and my rabbits have unsupervised access to them all day. We have a massive fox prob and I don't have a prob leaving them. I check the runs on a weekly basis.

My buns can be realy distructive sometimes and I would worry about the damage they could do to a wooden run, I've seen what they did to their hutch!!!:lol:

Back