• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini lion lop babies- weaning?

Louise G

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, you might have seen my previous post about my neutered buck escaping and getting his wife to be pregnant resulting in a litter (he was not safe as had only been neutered a few weeks). All babies are now almost three months old. I rehomed two girls as a pair to a very nice couple who are keeping them as house bunnies with access to a large outdoor run. My question is about weaning.... From my research I concluded that mum weans the babies naturally at 6-8 weeks but several evenings we have heard a sucking noise and found mum happily feeding one of her (now coming up to twelve weeks old daughters). We have dad (neutered) living with mum and two daughters we decided to keep. we also kept the only boy in the litter who is separate until he is safely neutered and we plan to re-bond in a few months. I dont want to split them up really because they are so content together and always scampering roud the garden together and sleep snuggled up but I don't know if still having milk will do them or mum any harm? Does anyone have any advice or experience with this situation? Thanks loads x

They all have very healthy appetities and so far have had no health problems, fingers crossed :)

Could you get the Mother spayed now ?

Yes I can do. I am planning on getting her daughters spayed as soon as they are old enough also but our vet said the main reason for spaying (apart from to prevent unwanted pregnancies) is to prevent female cancers in rabbits that never have litters as they are designed for frequent reproduction (in the wild) and as she has had a litter she wont be at risk anymore and if anything its more risk for her to have the operation when she doesn't need it. That is what my vet said but I would be really interested to see if anyone has any opinions on that because I don't think rabbits are his strong point. We are travelling to Leicester to King richards vets who are really good with rabbits, next week so i shall ask what they think also :)

Back