• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Podgy House Bunny Advice Needed!!

Hi guys, we have just rescued a male bunny called Harley from the RSPCA. I took him to the vets last night for a registration check up and he is a fatty!! We knew he was a big boy but didn't realise he was quite so podgy!! I have now given him good quality hay and a few excel pellets. I have also bought an outside cage/pen so he can be outside without being anywhere near my other 2 (he is sneezing). Any advice on how to get his weight down? Bearing in mind he is still settling in. THANK YOU :D:)

I would gradually begin to reduce the amount of pellets he gets to around an egg cup per day. This should also encourage him to eat the hay which should be around 80-90% of their diet, so provide unlimited hay.

Try not to feed sugary vegetables like carrots or fruits like apples.

Provide plenty of space so he can exercise and run around freely, also toys to stimulate his interest so he moves around a bit more. You could try putting his pellets in to one of those treat balls so he has to work at getting his food out.

Get as large a run as possible, and if possible have it attached to the hutch with 24 hour access, so he can exercise at dawn and night when rabbits are most active.

I second the treat balls idea to give him his pellets. Dont give him any treats, use his daily veg for treats, and when you give him these cut them small and scatter and hide them, so he has to run about finding the bits.

Thanks guys. I put him straight outside as soon as I get home from work now in his pen so at least he moves around. This morning I have given him a lot of hay and only a little bit of pellets.

Thanks guys. I put him straight outside as soon as I get home from work now in his pen so at least he moves around. This morning I have given him a lot of hay and only a little bit of pellets.

can he not go in a secure run when you are at work? he'd have a good 8 hours extra exercise that way.

Back