• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay prices

Suzanne

Mama Doe
I went to collect a bale of hay on Saturday from my usual place and it's gone up to £5 a bale :shock: It was only £3.50 a few months ago! Hope we have a good summer this year so that prices will come down again.

My usual supplier jumped from £3.50 to £4.50, but hubbie has found a local farm with lovely hay for £3 a bale.

I think if you can get to the farm, and cut out the middleman you have a chance of saving some money. No doubt the cost of fuel has pushed up delivery prices to the merchant.

I'm currently paying £7.99 where I used to pay £4.00

Our normal farm ran out ages ago and this farm has to buy it in from wherever it can. They aren't making anything out of the extra - it's what the market value is down here at the moment. So hay bill has doubled and it's not going to end until the next harvest so June at best I guess:(

The bales I get have gone up from £6.50 to £6.99 which I didn't think was too bad, but having seen what you pay, I may have to shop around!!

I got hay from a different place to my usual the other day; it was £5.50 a bale, so only 50p dearer than I'm used to paying anyway.

I was speaking to the lady there though and she said they're now having to buy theirs in. They usually harvest around 10,000 bales but last year only got around 4,000. :shock:

I'm currently paying £7.99 where I used to pay £4.00

Our normal farm ran out ages ago and this farm has to buy it in from wherever it can. They aren't making anything out of the extra - it's what the market value is down here at the moment. So hay bill has doubled and it's not going to end until the next harvest so June at best I guess:(

Same here in Kent - it's been a very steep rise this year. I just hope they get a good cut this year as decent quality hay is getting harder and harder to find.:(

Count yourselves lucky. Nowhere near me sells bales of hay and I wouldn't be able to transport it home anyway. Plus my two refuse to eat meadow hay so I have to get them timothy hay which is more than £5 for a small 1kg bag :(

If anyone has any money-saving suggestions for my situation they'd be very much appreciated!

Have been paying £7.50 a bale around here for some time now. The cheapest I've paid has been £4, but that was about a year ago.

Lizzyjm could you order the big bags of Timothy Hay from somewhere like The Hay Experts website? I think they do bags of around 50-60kg, although not cheap, still much cheaper than paying £5 per kilo.

I pay £3.50 for mine, the bloke is a diamond :love:who I get it from. I went and collected some a few days ago and ended up cutting his wife's piggies nails. they are such a lovely couple.I don't think he will up his prices. Well I hope not:lol:

Same here in Kent - it's been a very steep rise this year. I just hope they get a good cut this year as decent quality hay is getting harder and harder to find.:(

I'm in Kent too :wave: I haven't had any instance of going to get a bale and them saying 'oh we're out'. Whenever I ask they say 'oh we have plenty' BUT the price has been steadily going up all 2010. It went down slightly last time though.

I use a farmer bloke for my horses hay, as I bulk order in alot and used him for 4+years a bale of straw is £1 and hay £3.25.

But went into a horseshop the otherday and lady infront ordered a bale of hay at £8.00.

£8 :shock: I think ours are £6.75 at the moment. They were £7 at the end of last year. It's good quality though so I don't mind paying more.

yeap until a few months ago was £7.00, it did look nice but I just stood there like :shock: most of the shops that do it roud here have run out so there making the mst of it I guess

£4 at my local feed store, this time it's VERY stalky buns absolutley love it....eating it as I'm putting it iir trays...my feed store also gave me a lovely suprise last week....she managed to get hols of some Burns Green Oat Hay :shock:....I was like I'll have them all :roll::lol: saves me on postage now :D:D....she said the reason she hasn't seen it before is that it goes quick...I said yes it's very popular....£3.95 a bag :D

We paid £6 for a bale today, last time is was a fiver.

Though this bale doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the last one, but Bella's still tucking in so it must be alright!

I pay £5 a bale to a lovely lady who has some land and makes hay for her donkeys and ponies! She doesn't use fertilisers and it's got wild flowers and herbs in it. Buns and piggies love it! :D

Lizzyjm could you order the big bags of Timothy Hay from somewhere like The Hay Experts website? I think they do bags of around 50-60kg, although not cheap, still much cheaper than paying £5 per kilo.

The trouble would be getting it delivered. I get everything delivered to work as I'm not at home when couriers deliver so I'd never get that much home on the bus and I doubt work would be that impressed either! I'm not entirely sure I'd have anywhere to put that much at home either.

If only I could get them to eat the cheaper meadow hay I can get at the little pet shop half a mile away!

Back