• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has a poorly eye =(

X_Bex_X

Alpha Buck
:( she has white gungy stuff at the front of her eyes - when she periscopes and you look over her, it dosen't look pretty - we're taking her to the vets on saturday we think it might be some sort of cateracts (if bunnies can get that?) I just hope she's ok! - she's eating her food and she's acting as she normally always does - I don't like it :(
anybody else experienced this? and anyone have an idea as to what it could be?
xx

Sounds to me like she carries pasturella. This can get really bad and cause snuffles and respiatory tract infections.

She'll need some antibiotics, I think. You can clean the "gunk" with cooled boiled water and a cotton bud...but don't touch the eye. When one of my buns had gunky eyeballs I managed to clean it off when she closed her eye.

When you go to the vet don't clean it off, as they'll need to see it.

Is there any possibility you could make an appointment before Saturday?

I second pasturella, sounds like what my boy has, although you cant really tell without seeing it. Let us know what the vet says! Good luck.

Could be an infection caused by tooth roots also. Tooth roots pushing on the tear ducts can cause infection, which would present as white gunky discharge from the eyes.

If the infection is ONLY from the eyes, i'd think more so teeth issues.

Xrays will be required to confirm this.

If the vet suspects any infection other than teeth issues, he/she should do a Culture & Sensitivity Swab to test for bacterial type.

Could be a tear duct infection? Is there any discharge from her nose? Good luck at the vets tonight. Sending vibes for her xx

I'm so glad we're getting to the vets tonight! She has no fluid coming from her eyes or nose - although yesterday the rim round her eye looked red - she seems fine, eating/drinking/pooing normally - I will let you all know what the vet says - I just hope its not hurting her :cry: roll on 6.30!

I'm so glad we're getting to the vets tonight! She has no fluid coming from her eyes or nose - although yesterday the rim round her eye looked red - she seems fine, eating/drinking/pooing normally - I will let you all know what the vet says - I just hope its not hurting her :cry: roll on 6.30!

:? You said in your first post she had white gunky stuff coming from her eyes, but this post says no fluid cmoing from her eyes?

Can you take a picture and post the affected area, so we can give you a better idea?

sorry graham - its like a gunge BUT just come back from the vets and she said that its a third eye and its in place and moving around as it should - she also did a full check and everythings fine, healthy weight, good teeth, good nails and she had her myxi jabs done - its such a relief! thanks for all your help though guys!! really appreciated! :)

Back