• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with hutch building :S

samantha m

Warren Scout
Hiya
I am looking at hopefully building some new hutches for my buns, dont no when but thought I would ask my questions now, and hopefully it will get me motivated to do it lol
I will be building 4 of them lol
The sizes I have been looking at (not 100% sure yet) would be
Length - 120cm
Depth - 70cm, maybe 60cm not sure what would be best
and the height to be 130cm, but is gonna be a double tier one so would be 65cm per floor

Does this sound like an ok size? I tried working it out on what they are meant to have but have managed to get myself slightly confused :oops: obviously I would love them all to be able to have bigger, but I think this will be the biggest I am able to go, give or take some on the height which I think seems ok, adn maybe the length but would only be able to be on 2 of them for where I am hoping to be able to put them

Also does anyone know what type of wood you use to build a hutch? I was looking at MDF which is 12mm thick is that enough for thickness to be safe? or do I need somethuing thicker? or stronget etc

Thank you for any help : )

120cm? That isnt even 4 feet. Will they have attached runs? :?

ETA Min size thats recommended is 6 ft (183 or so cm) with an attached run of 6ft x 2ft

Last edited:
The recommended RSPCA size is 6ft long (which is 180cms)x 2ft wide x 2ft high. However this is for a single story hutch and if you don't have room for this length you might be able to give the rabbit the same overall space if there are 2 storeys.
The reason its suggested to be 2ft high is so that a rabbit can stand on its hind legs and wash its ears.
The reason its 2 ft wide is so that a bunny can lie stretched out and also so that there is room for a litter tray in one part of the hutch

The reason that its 6ft long is that a bunny should be able to take at least 3 hops in the hutch so that it isn't too cramped when shut in.

In addition to this hutch space(12sq ft of floor space ) the bunny should have a 6ft x 6ft x 2ft run .
The run should either be constantly supervised or if attached to the hutch should have a solid base so that predators cannot burrow in- also the hutch and run should be made of fox-proof mesh-( look for small squares)NOT chicken wire.
MDF is not a good choice for an outdoor hutch because it swells and warps when wet.
The roof of the hutch should overhang the front slightly and be felted and slightly on a slant so the rain can drain away.
The hutch should have 6 study legs to raise the main part of the hutch off the ground about 7ins.
My husband uses 2inch x 2 inch thick timber batons to make a framework then 1/2 inch outdoor plywood panels for the sides and base/roof.Marine ply is good though dearer.
sue:wave:

Don't use MDF or Chipboard, they are not suitable and will crumble/rot/get chewed apart.

Use Plywood of at least 6mm and just build a timber frame to attach the plywood to.

Size wise I wouldn't bother with 4ft 2 storey hutches, there isn't enough space and the ramp endsd up way too steep.

Build single storey hutches 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. You can buy plywood in the correct sizes to make it really easy.

I echo what stator & sdf76 said. My husband made a 6ft hutch then we got sheds instead for the contis. He used plywood from B&Q and 2 x 2 batons for the frame and 2 x 1 batons for the doors. They will even cut it to size for you instore (or they do in our local). Def do NOT use MDF.

I found it cheaper to buy the wire online then B&Q though but i did need 30 metres of it. Felt wasnt too badly price at B&Q.

Hinges, screws were cheaper at Wilkinsons.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies : )

I need to have a look at sizing and rethink then, I didnt realise they was the recommended sizes for a rabbit :oops: I thought the height would be ok, as I tested it with one of mine standing up, but maybe not then

I didnt think MDF would be the best thing to use, but couldnt think of what else could be used.

I will re think and then you may end up with some more questions lol

120cm? That isnt even 4 feet. Will they have attached runs? :?

ETA Min size thats recommended is 6 ft (183 or so cm) with an attached run of 6ft x 2ft

sorry, forgot to quote this in my other one, but wouldnt it work out if I was to have it as 120 cm over 2 floors, wouldnt that give them more space than just having 6ft in one go :S Mine are only little rabbits, so would be able to stretch out in this length or wouldnt it work still?

sorry, forgot to quote this in my other one, but wouldnt it work out if I was to have it as 120 cm over 2 floors, wouldnt that give them more space than just having 6ft in one go :S Mine are only little rabbits, so would be able to stretch out in this length or wouldnt it work still?

I personally favour more space on one level, than having it split over two levels - they like a good length to run up and down and in a 4' two level hutch, the ladder takes away a lot of the running space.

Have you done much woodwork before? I built my rabbits' run myself with no previous experience and it was a bit of a nightmare - would strongly recommend having a close look at how other hutches are put together, maybe taking photos, and making a very very detailed plan before you start.

Good luck, and remember to let us know how it goes - we will want pictures ;)

How many rabbits have you got? Are they in pairs or single etc?

To save space so the hutches can bigger, but having less of them, and give them companionship (if single) it would be better and easier all round to bond some together. :wave:

I have got 4 rabbits, 1 female Skippy lives alone, My 2 males Digit (indoors) and Charlie are also single buns, and then Roo who I have just adopted lives with 2 guinea-pigs which I no isnt right, which is why I never mentioned that originally, but for how long they have been together, and the bond that they have I feel is not right to serperate and my oppinon wont be swayed on that one.

I would love for them all to be paired I have been trying to get Digit and Wife since I got Digit but its a no go, for any more rabbits, I was only allowed Roo and gang as she was my managers and I fell in love with her when i've been at her house lol

Skippy is 6 so I dont want to put her under for a spay, I no people on here say it is safe, but im not so convinced, and she seems happier on her own, than when she lived with 2 other females, I was thinking of putting her with Roo, but one I have been told Roo is 14 (still undecided whether this is true) so dont want to risk a fight and one get injured and not be ok :( and obviously I would never have the 2 rabbits with the 2 pigs

Digit and Charlie escaped and managed to have a fight, luckily no one was to hurt except missing a bit of fur and my poor hands lol, but after that no dont think these 2 are a good match lol, I will be getting Digit neutered when I can get a week or at least a few days of work, so maybe I will try again then, but part of me is thinking they are not a family bunny type

So believe me I have thought about how I can pare them up, but nothing seems to work, as I wont spay Skippy, and charlie isnt neutered (my sisters rabbit, so I wont do this, and dont think she wants to either) so they cant go togehter

I personally favour more space on one level, than having it split over two levels - they like a good length to run up and down and in a 4' two level hutch, the ladder takes away a lot of the running space.

Have you done much woodwork before? I built my rabbits' run myself with no previous experience and it was a bit of a nightmare - would strongly recommend having a close look at how other hutches are put together, maybe taking photos, and making a very very detailed plan before you start.

Good luck, and remember to let us know how it goes - we will want pictures ;)

I've never looked at it that way, of the slope taking up a lot of the running space, I think I deffo need to try and rethink my building ideas lol

I havent personally no, but my grandad has built me a few hutches before, and my dad has built out and then recently my sister has built a run for them, so im thinking with my sister and probably my dad they can do a good job between them and for me just to provide the money for materials lol, cos no my wood work probably isnt the greatest :oops:

When I get round to it, will deffo put up pictures :)

I was well excired figuring out that these would all fit in my garden nicely but now I need to go back to the drawing board lol

Thanks for the replies :)

It is a shame you won't let her under for spay, I have spayed rabbits @8-9yrs old and they have been fine :) .

If you decide to bond, I think I live near you if you need help :)
I would still seperate the piggies from the bunny simply about the bordatella risk :(

I think im just to over protective lol, as she is the last connection (only fake sisters lol) to my first bunny who I still miss and I havent had her for 4 years :( so if anything went wrong, and I know it is from me choosing for her to have it, I would never forgive myself

yeah I no about the risks, and I used to keep them togehter before quite a few years ago, before I knew about they are not meant to and things, and I always said never again will I keep them togehter, but then these 3 they are a group, when they are out roo will hope, then she will come back to the pigs, then they will hope of, and keep coming back to her its like 2 little kids when playing making sure there mum is still there, and when you see that I cant split it, I wish I could but there a 3

yeah you are quite close to me if I do decide to bond I will take you up on that offer, that will be decied after hutch building lol

out of curiosity then would a nearly one year old male (when neutered obv) be bondable with a 6 year old female? or is the age gap to great?

It depends on personality and activity levels I would say.

My eldest is almost 6 and youngest 2, but my eldest acts like a teen bun still so is just as bouncy and lively :love: (I have a group of 5)

yer Skippy does still hop about, loves playing in her tunnel etc, other than that she isnt that lively, whereas Digit omg doesnt sit still hes mad lol, so im thniking they may not make the greatest couple, unless he can calm down a little for her

aww, I would love a big group, I used to love watching my 3 girls when I had them all bonded :love: then 2 died :( and Skippy was left

I havent personally no, but my grandad has built me a few hutches before, and my dad has built out and then recently my sister has built a run for them, so im thinking with my sister and probably my dad they can do a good job between them and for me just to provide the money for materials lol, cos no my wood work probably isnt the greatest :oops:

Oh cool - as long as you have their help you'll be fine I'm sure :) My run took 3 months and it was no oil painting when it was finished :lol:

It is scary sending a rabbit to be spayed but the risk of problems is tiny. something like 1 in 90, (check this with your vet) but the risk of her getting fatal uterine cancer due to being unspayed is 4 in 5.

It's your decision though and I'm not trying to pressure you into doing it if you don't feel it's right - just making sure you have all the facts.

Back