• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor snake (photos may be upsetting) u/d 24/05/11

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
On the 28th Febuary this year I took my Hog Island boa to my vet for an operation to open up his nostrils after he had somehow hurt his nose resulting in the scales healing over the openings.

My usual vet performed the op fine, Tyree got home the same day and went back every week for post op checks and to have his nostrils flushed with saline solution to keep them open. He began eating again after his winter fast and was overall very bright and healthy. Here's a photo...

tyree104.jpg

Although the nostrils look awful they were open and the scabbing would have come off when he shed his skin.

My normal vet wasn't in this week and the other very good exotics vet wasn't in either. As it was necessary for Tyree to have his nose flushed I made an appointment with the surgerys other exotics vet for Monday the 28th.

I have no idea what she did but this is what Tyree currently looks like. I don't know if she has done something wrong or if this is just one of those unfortunate things but he's had this done 4 times now by the other vet and shown no bad reaction to it.

tyree107.jpg

tyree108.jpg

tyree109.jpg

That fleshy thing hanging from the top of his mouth is his gum. It has swollen so much he can't shut his mouth.:cry:

Last night I noticed that the right side of his face was swollen so I rung the emergency number for my vet and got the other very good exotics vet who said that as long as he was breathing OK and didn't appear to be overly stressed Tyree would be fine to wait until morning.

He's now had anti-inflamatories and will be on antibiotics for a while. I'm kicking myself as if the swelling doesn't go away he won't be able to eat. There's been no change in him since he had the injections, I hope they take effect soon.:(

Last edited:
God how awful! It looks as if there was somehow a struggle. Maybe the new vet didn't get the technique quite right? :(

It's possible I suppose but I can't understand why it's went so badly wrong this time.:cry: His face is still all swollen today and that's been nearly 24 hours since he 's had the anti-inflammatory.

Poor guy, that looks so sore :(
You would wonder what could go wrong with a saline flush :? I hope he gets better very soon.

Oh god, that looks horrible!
I hate to see such a wonderful, proud animal look like that! :(
I found out the hard way that a good exotics vet is like gold dust and when you find a good one, stick with them!
I hope the swelling goes down very soon. Is he still eating/when is his next feed due? Is he shedding ok?

Oh god, that looks horrible!
I hate to see such a wonderful, proud animal look like that! :(
I found out the hard way that a good exotics vet is like gold dust and when you find a good one, stick with them!
I hope the swelling goes down very soon. Is he still eating/when is his next feed due? Is he shedding ok?

He was due to be fed at the end of this week but I was trying to tempt him with a mouse last night and he wasn't interested. Not seem him drink yet but I've only seen him drink once or twice in his life anyway.:(

I would want an explanation if he were mine,he looks very sore and how did he get so much inflammation :?Sending healing vibes to your beautiful boy xxxxx

He's on a different antibiotic now but he's back at the vet on Thursday with their head exotics guy. He's not the guy who did the op (the one I like) but he's the next best thing. Hopefully he'll be able to suggest something as the swelling hasn't gone down any.:(

Looks like a lot has died off around his nostrils. Perhaps some kind of infection has set in. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Helen xx

Thankfully we got to see the really good exotics guy today but the appointment was a bit traumatic for Tyree.

Our vet thought it best if we knocked off some of the scabbing around the nostrils but when he did the scabs were connected to all sorts of vile looking gunk. It looks like a nasty infection has set in and up until now been relatively well hidden.

Blood and pus dripped out of one nostril after the vet removed as much of the dead tissue as he could but the sight made me so ill I had to leave the room. Tyree wasn't happy either and so I agreed to let him stay at the vets tonight and our vet will clean him up tomorow and hopefully start him on some strong antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

Feel a bit guilty for thinking the other vet was responsible now.:oops:

Back