• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dudley update: 09/04 **calling all poo experts**

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Well Dudley went in for an ultrasound today; after last week the vet was convinced she could feel an enlarged liver, and the blood test results seemed to imply same (ALT double what it should be, also blood slightly anaemic and 71% white blood cells). But today she did the ultrasound and immediately thought 'that's not liver'. Did a conscious x-ray and found a normal sized liver but an incredibly hugely distended, hard, gassy colon :shock:

But here's the thing...he's not behaving in any way at all like a sick bunny. He is eating like a trooper and it's coming out the other end just as fast :? So we literally have no idea what's going on, it's not even like the bits of the jigsaw aren't falling into place, it's like it's bits of different jigsaws :?

So for now we are treating as if for bloat/stasis, as it's possible there's a partial blockage somewhere there - although clearly not whole...and there's nothing visible to that effect on the x-ray or u/s. But we're still not convinced that bloating is all there is to it. He is eating as if he is starving and is drinking excessively, yet is slowly losing weight. He has suddenly developed a snotty nose (which has cleared up significantly since the abx last week, but obviously with a gassy tummy we are now reluctant to give more).

Part of me wonders if it's worth getting a faecal test done for cocci, but I'm not convinced that adds up either and as nothing has changed and I haven't had any movement of bunnies in or out since Mavis joined the gang last July, it seems a bit odd that it would suddenly ping into life. I just can't work it out. Having seen his x-ray I would have expected to find a lethargic, very poorly bunny in stasis, not a normally behaving bunny with a very big appetite :?

Answers on a postcard, anyone? :?

Last edited:
How strange. Sorry no answers or ideas here, just confusion!

I'm glad to hear he feels fine in himself, and hope this carries on. Feel sorry for you though as you must be very worried as to whats going on :(

No idea, sorry! Not knowing the problem is really frustrating. I hope you can get to the bottom of it. Sending lots of vibes for you and Dudley xx

I'm sorry - I've no idea but sending vibes for Dudley.

Jack's Jane is well read on unusual bunny medical problems so she may have some ideas?

sue:wave:

:shock: How very confusing - his symptoms (eating like a horse etc) don't seem to match what is physically going on inside. :? I'm glad he seems well, and hope that you can work out what is wrong. :)

Hmm sounds odd :? I have no idea about this sort of thing unfortunately, glad he seems well in himself though.

My vet once thought one of my buns liver was enlarged, but an x-ray showed that it was gas and impacted food in the guts. My bun was in stasis at the time though, and wasn't eating by himself...so probably not related to Dudley's situation.

Sending lots of vibes for Dudley x

Bunnies with huge appetites worry me as much as bunnies with no appetite especially if the weight is going down too :( In my experience this indicates either organ failure or tumours.

I really hope this isn;t the case with Dudley and that you find an easily treatable cause :)

sending loads of vibes for him xx

Thanks Liz, that's exactly what we are fearing, that there is a growth causing a partial blockage. Because there was so much gut in the way, there was nothing visible on either the x-ray or u/s. In your experience, have things been picked up this way; I.e. Might it be worth repeting these if we can get his gut back to a more normal size?

That was my thought too unfortunately.

Yep these things are often missed on diagnostics. It depends where it is sitting whether it can be seen or not.

A few years ago, my Flint had 3 x-rays over 6 months before the tumour showed up. And Lola's didn;t show until it was very near the end for her. she got the all clear on earlier ones.

Sadly PM's afterwards frequently show different problems to what was visable on x-ray/ US :(:( Thats why we used to get so many done on our bunnies. we learnt a lot that way, as did our vets.

Thanks Liz - not what I want to hear, obviously, but it's good to hear your experiences.

Were his calcium levels significantly elevated in his recent blood test ?

I don't remember seeing calcium on there Jane - we did the pre-op blood panel initially, I don't think that does calcium does it? What are you thinking? We are back after the weekend unless he gets worse before, so it would be really helpful to hear any thoughts!

Thanks both - I do hope you're wrong, but equally I am pretty sure this isn't "just" a case of a randomly bloated intestine :( Is there anything more non-invasive that can be done to work towards a diagnosis?

Personally I feel that diagnostics are pretty limited :?

If it were me and he is well in himself I would leave him for a few weeks and then maybe try anothr conscious US and see if anything has changed :?

Just read through your first post again and realised he is drinking excessively too. He sounds just like Herman :?

Last edited:
Just read through your first post again and realised he is drinking excessively too. He sounds just like Herman :?

Yes I see what you mean - eating and drinking excessively, losing weight, yet still being lively and bouncy. Very similar :?

It actually describes a lot of our past bunnies too :(

But at least Dudley feels well in himself which is the main thing :)

Back