• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trouble keeping my lionhead's fur knot free

Emmz

Alpha Buck
Hey all, :wave:

Pomme is a complete nuisance when it comes to her hair. I manage to get some of the knots out whilst she is eating but if I try and the few bigger ones she just refuses and runs off (even when eating.) She also hates being picked up, so I cannot "force her into place" to do it. Basically I am at my wits end, and am starting to wish I had got another short haired bun. This may sound horrible but when it comes to her hair she really stresses me out.

I am really struggling. I don't know what to do with her. I don't want her fur to become "bad quality" but I cannot do anything about it. I've had her for months and am still having this problem. I was hoping someone else who has owned a lionhead or another long furred rabbit could help me in some way - not that I am sure how anyone could help.

Hey all, :wave:

Pomme is a complete nuisance when it comes to her hair. I manage to get some of the knots out whilst she is eating but if I try and the few bigger ones she just refuses and runs off (even when eating.) She also hates being picked up, so I cannot "force her into place" to do it. Basically I am at my wits end, and am starting to wish I had got another short haired bun. This may sound horrible but when it comes to her hair she really stresses me out.

I am really struggling. I don't know what to do with her. I don't want her fur to become "bad quality" but I cannot do anything about it. I've had her for months and am still having this problem.

My lion head hated being picked up too when I first got him, I just persevered and would keep picking him up anyway, short times at first getting to longer. He now will not struggle / kick as soon as he's picked up as he knows he's a) going somewhere I.e hutch or outside = food and b) realizes it's not so bad as long as he can see where he's going.

As for the brushing try putting her on a small surface, mine gets put on the outside table, he knows this is the hair brushing place. Still moves around but can't run away and he gets a treat after. Try that

She is a big jumper and it doesn't matter how high she is she will go for it so I can't think of anywhere that is suitable to place her. :(

Under her chin is getting quite messy but her back and sides I manage to keep quite neat. But it makes me feel like a useless owner being unable to do it. Does someone want to be paid every couple of weeks to groom my rabbit for me? (I'm kind of half serious here too, why isn't there any rabbit grooming places? They have them for dogs.) :(

edit: well gtg bed up at 5am. Thanks for the reply will have to see if there is somewhere I can put her but not got any clue looking about. Will check back here tomorrow to check for replies.

Last edited:
:wave: is she an only bun? sometimes grooming from another bun..or even being washed by the cat..ahem...can matt up a lionhead coat/mane/mullet

bandit only had a 70s mullet really long and mutton chops but not under his chin....he was so easy to look after...till he got married...he had to have his mane shaved off as my bif washed it so much and matted it up.

merlins got even more lionhead in him i think...hes double maned..he has a full mane around his neck and under his chin..he has mutton chops....and around his lower end it looks like a tutu but ive been told its his second mane..not to be confused with the moulting ground level tutu bunnies get:lol:

merlins hell....its a case of putting him up higher and one person holds him like they do at the vets.....and the other uses a mini slicker brush. We also found a detangling undercoat comb for dogs..thats good for loosening it all.
but if there are matts..id suggest using a pet shaver or scissors (too dangerous but you might only have scissors) cut the matts and tangles out..it has to be done.

"pluck" the fur if its loose enough...its messy but very zen:lol:

yes you pluck the fur like you see feathers being plucked...and its amazing how much fur comes out from one teeny spot!!!

Which bit is the worst..the actual mane under her chin..or the surrounding fur all over too?

melrins got a problem with his tummy and its tender all the time so he hates being picked up..he squeaks too..but the vets know its and ongoing condition.
We have put him in a cardboard box a small one on two plastic storage boxes in the lounge...and he tries to jump but its easier to trap him like that. then you comb and brush what you can reach..doing the chin youd be going in blind as they say..cant see what youre doing but feel it.

ooh have you got a baggy jumper...you dont use anymore..just thought cut the sleeve..and put it on like a majorly big tubigrip an dleave the mane and head free..paws bundled up cant scrabble to jump;)
makes not to self to do this next time too:lol:

a few years ago i was having nerve blocks in the pain clinic and one of the nurses had an angora and hed got in a mess...and she asked me if i knew any bunny groomers...i could only say try a dog or cat groomer....

we both said..theres a market for bunny groomers...a salon or mobile..its an interesting business idea!!!

I would chop her short :) If she already has knots you might want to initially go to a groomer or vet for the first trim. After that you can probably keep it up yourself with a regular trim.

I think she is double mained as she also has a little tutu all around her bottom and a lot around her face. Her chops and chin are the biggest problem. I wasn't sure a vet would help and I am not sure there is a rabbit grooming service even available? The vet idea may be a good one at first though for the couple of big knots she has.

The idea of a box + cutting them off with scissors after that is probably for the best.

She isn't an only bun she recently moved in with my male bun Terry who is short haired.

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot more calm about it now. :wave:

Is there a high value treat you can save specially for grooming time? I put a towel on my knee then have the bun and a bowl of food on top. I generally have some pellets mixed with carrot, apples, banana or fresh dandelions and let them munch while I brush. Make sure you're wearing long sleeves in case of scrambling. If it is too traumatic then definitely keep it short. I am now onto my 2nd long haired bun and keep them well trimmed to save many problems.

For under her chin, bunny burrito, bottom against a wall to prevent reversing and hold her nose and mouth in a circle made by your finger and thumb. Lift their head up and work quickly but gently!

Back