• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Make Mine Chocolate! 2011 Pet Shop Easter Amnesty

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Make Mine Chocolate can report over 2000 pet shops nationwide have now been invited to join in this years Easter Rabbit Sale Amnesty. Each shop contacted has been asked to suspend rabbit sales during the two week period over Easter, or to help spread the message that rabbits are a big commitment if they do not sell rabbits.

The shops have been given an Amnesty poster in addition to free care sheets for their customers detailing the key areas of commitment required before taking on rabbits.

Make Mine Chocolate! hopes that both the Amnesty and the detailed care advice will help to reduce the number of impulse buys this Easter. With strong media coverage of the Chinese New Year, the new film Hop (due to be released on April 1st) in addition to Easter itself, the problem of impulse buying and subsequent relinquishment a few months later could be greater than ever this year.

Do help us if you can! Visit your local pet shop and ask if they are joining the Make Mine Chocolate! Easter Amnesty - if they've not yet received their Amnesty pack, let us know and we'll send one out right away!

Thankyou for all of your support

I will do this saturday. My local chain store (not THE chain pet shop) already won't allow impulse purchases let alone around easter so hopefully they will get involved with this :wave:

Is there a list of the pet shops who have joined the amnesty? Last year my local petshop said she was interested but hadn't heard back from MMC.

Jo, just checked the list and can confirm that we did send out a pack which should be there any day now. If you hear of any problems, please do feel free to get the shop owner to message me.

Are you just sending packs to pet shops that have expressed an interest in it, or will you send them to any? Just wondering. :)

Are you just sending packs to pet shops that have expressed an interest in it, or will you send them to any? Just wondering. :)

We've done a mailout to over 2000 shops from a list of known pet shops and pet supplies people regardless of whether they have been in touch with us in advance.

That's brilliant!

Just a thought, but would cinemas be willing to put up posters? Like you say I can see the film creating a rush too :?

If the packs are being posted out, should we leave it a few days before asking if the shops have received it? There's a couple of pet shops near me I might have to force myself to go and visit!:lol:

I put two MMC posters up yesterday. One at my local vets and one at the local farm suppliers (also sells rabbit supplies but not actual rabbits).

:wave:

I have posted off a letter to all my petshops locally and to the local papers, I felt a little uncomfortable going into the shops :)oops:) so for anyone else who may want to do something but feel like me here is what I wrote if you want to copy print (every little helps) I pinched the mmc stuff

Hi,
I am writing to Rabbit on a little about bunny welfare.
There is a big campaign to try and re-educate people about the true facts of owning a bunny. As it’s coming up to Easter time and this is when most people impulse buy. What they and all bunny owners are trying to do is get the message out that…

“Rabbits are a BIG commitment!”

Sadly 21,000 rabbits are abandoned before they have been owned for 1 whole year.
Over 35,000 rabbits end up in rescues each year, if they are lucky.
The truth is for the majority of Rabbits they die having lived their entire life in a cramped cage with poor diets that result in health issues, that sadly won’t be treat.

What we are trying to encourage is for people not to buy rabbits on impulse to find out the facts first.
The average rabbit costs around £1,500 per year to look after.
So if you can’t dedicate at least 8 hours each day for up to 14 years of bunnies life and pay vet bills you can’t look after a rabbit PROPERLY!
Buy the kids a chocolate one instead!

They are trying to get the support of ALL pet shops to join in with the Easter Amnesty.
On the face of it, it does appear we are asking shops to give up a small amount of income during Easter.
However, we believe that by supporting the Amnesty, the retailer can gain some important credibility with its customers, receive some free and very positive PR (see below), and benefit in the longer term for being known as a retailer who is willing to put rabbit welfare before profit.
The Amnesty stops the impulse purchase. From the retailers perspective, a short term customer who gives the rabbit up after a few weeks or months is only a very small short term financial benefit. A customer who is clearly committed to the long term care of their rabbit can be a great customer for 10 years or more!
And if during the Amnesty the retailer can determine a rabbit is not right for the customer, the retailer then has an ideal opportunity to explore the customers situation and find the right pet for them.
A customer guided by the knowledgable retailer who is focused on selling what is right for the customer is generally a satisfied customer for life! Make Mine Chocolate firmly believes that participation in the Make Mine Chocolate Easter Amnesty is simply good business sense!
So How Does The Amnesty Work?
During the Amnesty, each participating outlet commits not to sell rabbits during the Amnesty period (this is usually the two weeks at Easter). Make Mine Chocolate! will provide a store poster to promote the shops participation in the Amnesty and provide leaflets and care information both for staff and customers. These will all be provided free of charge.
Make Mine Chocolate will also send a press release to the stores local paper to promote the shops participation in the Amnesty. A list of participating shops will also be featured on the website.
For more facts and info see www.makeminechocolate.co.uk
Many Thanks

Not just a Rabbit…
www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Back