• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matts in stasis *much better*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
have another two threads going about this but thought i'd move it all to the same one.

could we please have vibes. he's not very well at all. :cry:

to update - we have been to the vets. matts had a strong pain relief, some fluids and something else i can't remember. somthing to calm him down i think.

he's eaten a few leaves, and a bit of coneflower. that was when we got home. since then he's just sat there. he took a bit of thyme from o/h and i've just tried syringing some recovery food but he only took about 2ml then he was spitting it out.

i could even pick him up and he wasn't bothered.

no poops as yet, no wee. he's just looking very sad. :(

we have:

recovery food
maxolon
zantac
metacam

and we are at the emergency vets in the night if he gets worse, and back at our vets tomorrow aswell.

Last edited:
I put something on your other thread about syringing fluids. Not sure if you saw it.

All paws are crossed here x

I put something on your other thread about syringing fluids. Not sure if you saw it.

All paws are crossed here x

sorry, just seen it. he had fluids injected at the vets. and i am syringing him cooled boiled water.

he just wants to rest. :(

as a reply to your other thread i give casper 5mls every hour for the first few hours (i use oxbow critical care), although i think he is alot smaller then matt, so maybe matt will need more, and then i encourage him to nom as much on his own gradually decreasing the time i give recovery food until he is feeling well again,
be happy and cheerful when you go and give it to him so he knows everything is ok :) xxx

Last edited:
as a reply to your other thread i give casper 5mls every hour for the first few hours, although i think he is alot smaller then matt, so maybe matt will need more, and then i encourage him to nom as much on his own gradually decreasing the time i give recovery food until he is feeling well again xxx

matt was 2.49kg at the vets today. he took 2ml so that's not too bad i suppose.

i will try again in an hour.

i've left a plate of fresh and dried herbs and probiotics next to him, aswell as a bowl of cooled boiled water and some hay. he keeps sniffing it. he wants to eat it but won't. but he did take some thyme from o/h. which is good as he always wants o/h when he's not feeling well.

thanks for letting me text you today. x

matt was 2.49kg at the vets today. he took 2ml so that's not too bad i suppose.

i will try again in an hour.

i've left a plate of fresh and dried herbs and probiotics next to him, aswell as a bowl of cooled boiled water and some hay. he keeps sniffing it. he wants to eat it but won't. but he did take some thyme from o/h. which is good as he always wants o/h when he's not feeling well.

thanks for letting me text you today. x

i find casper goes off me when he is poorly too, but its because i panic :oops: and it makes him panic, so i let my mum go out and try him with food. 2ml's is better then nothing :) your doing a great job with him, i know its not easy. casper is 1.55KG so matt is nearly double so maybe 10mls but if he only wants 5mls let him have how much he feels :) Its great he wanted some thyme, its all good news that he hasnt lost complete intrest in food :) keep postive he is a strong boy we know that for what he has fought through already! xx

he just got up and went to the litter tray, didn't poop, but at least he chose to move. now he's hopped back to his corner again.

i find casper goes off me when he is poorly too, but its because i panic :oops: and it makes him panic, so i let my mum go out and try him with food. 2ml's is better then nothing :) your doing a great job with him, i know its not easy. casper is 1.55KG so matt is nearly double so maybe 10mls but if he only wants 5mls let him have how much he feels :) Its great he wanted some thyme, its all good news that he hasnt lost complete intrest in food :) keep postive he is a strong boy we know that for what he has fought through already! xx

i panic alot aswell which is probably why he wants o/h. but that's ok, least he will take a little food from him.

i'm so upset he was stable again, all ready for his vaccs tomorrow. and now this. and he is already snuffling more. :(

it happened so quickly. this morning he was ok then out of nowhere he slept for ages, i checked him and he wouldn't move, wouldn't eat, nothing. we were ready to leave for the vets within 15mins.

we have an amazing taxi driver who came asap when we phoned him. he's so good to us. and he cares about the buns aswell. he waited for us and brought us home again.

the vet was not our normal vet, it was the other rabbit vet and she was really great. they saw us as soon as we got there and got matt what he needed.

the reason he came home is because no-one would be there from half 7 and she thought he would do better with us at home. but said if there is no improvement then we have to go to the emergency vets.

we got there quickly luckily, just missed the traffic.

i'm glad we are home though and can hopefully get him back on track. and we are back at the vets tomorrow aswell so he can be checked again.

i'm so shocked how quickly he got ill. :( he had stasis in 2007 and we nearly lost him, it was awful. but he got through, and he's been through other things aswell so hopefully he can be strong this time aswell. x

Lots of vibes from me and Spenser. Spenser had stasis last September. It was very scary but we were lucky and the treatment he got from the emergency vet helped him to pick up within 24 hours. He did though seem to get worse before he got better.

Sending lots of vibes.

Sparky had stasis back around Christmas. He sat in the corner a lot when he wasn't well, its because he feels secure there (and I'm sure because he thought we wouldn't find him to syringe feed him).

One thing we did was to wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and put it on the floor near him, to help keep him warm and snug.

It sounds like your doing everything you can :) If he's eaten something, that's great.

matts had some more recovery food, he had about 2.5mls then started spitting it out. he actually sat up through it this time though, he couldn't lift his body and head last time. so that's good. he also had some maxolon and some cooled boiled water syringed aswell.

he is mainly resting but gets up every 20mins and comes out of his corner and eats maybe a few leaves or a strand of hay. so that's good he wants to try to eat.

he is still very tired but he can sit up now. before he was kind of slumped down and couldn't lift his head really.

he had also done a few poops aswell.

bisc has been amazing looking after him, lying with him, grooming him and even not eating all the food so matt had some left :shock:

we are on the right tracks i think. he is gradually improving.

he's having some more recovery food and water in an hour and then he is due metacam a bit later aswell.

thanks you so much for all the vibes, it means alot. and they certainly seem to be helping so thank you. x

Back