• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits carry/pass on Campylobacter??

Barney rubble

Warren Scout
I'm just recovering from really bad diarrohoea, and had tests done and found out today thats food poisioning from Campylobacter bacteria.:cry:
Can rabbits pass this on or be carriers of it?? I've looked on the net and there looks like a possibilty, but how certain it is i'm not sure. I'm now worrying about my two babies, are they ok??:? Any advice or info would be greatly recieved.

My mum contracted this and she was seriously ill. The doctor thinks it was cross contamination of raw and cooked chicken. Had you had contact with any raw meat prior to falling ill?

Highly unlikely it was the bunnies I'd have thought; it's far more likely to be a theoretical possibility than a likelihood - it's certainly not common for them to have that bacteria. As Laura says, undercooked poultry (or something that has been contaminated with raw poultry via e.g. a choppin board, knife or hands) is the primary culprit in the UK, and is usually from 2-5 days prior to becoming ill, although as it causes illness by multiplying in the gut it can be as much as 3 weeks or so :shock: Very common in barbecue season from undercooked chicken or from people returning from holidays abroad!

It can also be caught by contact with faecal material of infected animals but because of the poultry source, it's more likely to be from birds themselves or carnivorous animals or reptiles, who can also be carriers.

Hi, :wave: Thanx for replying. I've been so worried about the bunnies, so thats put my mind to rest. The Dr has given me a really good print out about it now.
The only possible thing I can thikn of is an Indian i'd eaten 2 days before apart from that, it could have been anything. :cry: I Have been really poorly with it :cry: I've never been so ill, or for so long, and still am getting over it. I'm just pleased I'm the only one who's had it, cause I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Childbirth is easier :lol:

Helen xx

Back