• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you teach a bunny no?

reehsetin

Warren Scout
We're trying to teach MJ no - which is us just saying no in an unfriendly voice and maybe moving him/shooing him from what he was doing but I'm not sure whether he's getting it and whether it's the right way to be doing things - things like biting wires (we tend to hide them away but they are there when we're using the laptop etc) biting the cabinet, scratching the door and biting us if we get in his way!

I'm not convinced they can understand words, although many people on here will swear that they do.

You might have more luck with a sound, like clapping your hands. This should startle him and if you do it every time he does something naughty he should learn not to do it.

Just wanted to add I dont think you can train a bun not to chew wires, as its instinctive. I did try to for a while before finding here with no luck. You're better off protecting them with plastic tubing/trunking and pen panels/NIC panels. If I have to have an unprotected wire out, I coil it under a towel/blanket so its not seen and protected a little.

Just wanted to add I dont think you can train a bun not to chew wires, as its instinctive. I did try to for a while before finding here with no luck. You're better off protecting them with plastic tubing/trunking and pen panels/NIC panels. If I have to have an unprotected wire out, I coil it under a towel/blanket so its not seen and protected a little.

Didn't pick up on the wires bit. I'm afraid you have no chance of teaching a bun not to terrorise your wires, it is their natural instinct as they perceive them to be roots. However, bunny-proofing is a huge part of rabbit ownership and is for you to sort out not the bun. I hope none of these wires are plugged in :shock:

Good luck :wave:

i figured we wouldnt stop him with the wires but at least if he knew 'no' he'd drop the wire or whatever it was
The towel is a great idea though!I'll try a sound, I know he responds to tapping as that's how we call him

Although my bun isn't quite normal, I found he knew about 60 of my words & phrases within 2 months. It only takes him 3 exposures to learn a new word if it's important enough to HIM! NO was never in his vocabulary.

I capitalised on rabbits being prey animals & hardwired to communicate danger to each other. My word for no is "careful" said & feeling fearful, & emphasising the KK sound like a click. It only works if you notice unwanted behaviour very early.

Nipping was the only time I used bunny speak. I'd force him to submit to me by putting the length of my finger across his forehead until his chin was on the ground.

Mostly I tried to understand the rabbit origins of unwanted behaviour & find an acceptable alternative for both of us, eg chewing doors, was a "NO" followed immediately by putting bark covered twigs under his mouth, & "good boy" when he chewed them.

Once we had a really strong bond, he trained up beautifully.

Oscar quickly learnt No in regards to the OH's laptop wire, we can leave it trailing across the floor all day and he won't touch it.

Yep, i taught mine with a hard thump on the floor and saying 'no' firmly at the same time or clapping my hands, they know they're not allowed to do whatever they're doing then.

Little Mangle wurzel would mount the late Chewbains on her face, I'd shout 'That's her face', then she'd get off and try to mount her from behind! That's all I can say, I have no explanation......:?

My lot don't understand "no", but I make a sound like "ah, ah" in a tone that sounds negative, and they seem to understand this.

I only use it at the moment when they are freeranging, to keep them away from the stairs - they will hop to the edge, but when they hear "ah ah" they turn around and run into the bedroom.

It's definitely the sounds mine respond to, not the words.

Understand what it means, yes, actually pay attention, no very often :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Absolutely Tamsin. That's exactly what I believe.
When I used to tell Thumper "Into the kitchen" he knew exactly what it meant (= end of play time & back to his own area) so he'd hide under the side board or do several circuits of the room before he eventually went.:lol:

lol I think i need to see what works for him, we say no in a very different tone than how we speak to him otherwise but it's not good so far, think cos there's no real consequence he doesn't get it - read somewhere about spraying them water when saying no so they associate it with bad but seems very mean to me:shock:

lol I think i need to see what works for him, we say no in a very different tone than how we speak to him otherwise but it's not good so far, think cos there's no real consequence he doesn't get it - read somewhere about spraying them water when saying no so they associate it with bad but seems very mean to me:shock:

I don't like this. It's totally personal, I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't see bunnies as responding to any form of punishment. I suspect that many percieve it as aggression, & it can escalate into competition for who is alpha bunny.

We can't stop bunnies being bunnies. Mine adapted his instinctive behaviour expressing it in ways which were mutually acceptable. I had to modify a few things eg prevent access to cables, & not use scented things in the house to prevent spraying. When young, some behaviour was like that of a tired human infant - it was pre empted before it happened & he was returned to an area where he couldn't cause damage before it happened. He'll still tug up carpet pile on 1 carpet only as attention seeking behaviour, with visitors. I can usually stop that by giving him attention before he feels the need to wind me up to get it.
He goes outside for digging but some folk give their bunnies a digging box.

I've made a few adaptations to accommodate him. He free ranges the house 24/7 & behaved perfectly, once he had been patiently taught how he was expected to behave in our house!

In all this, he started with freedom in the utility area where he couldn't cause much damage, & was strictly supervised in other areas at 1st, eventually earning his total freedom. It was completely reward for good behaviour all the way through.
I would say don't let your bunny seeing you do anything you don't want him to do! He'll copy you. :shock::lol:

Understand what it means, yes, actually pay attention, no very often :lol:

Oh this. Mine KNOW what they aren't supposed to do. I catch them looking up at my before deciding whether to do something naughty or not.

My lot don't understand "no", but I make a sound like "ah, ah" in a tone that sounds negative, and they seem to understand this.I only use it at the moment when they are freeranging, to keep them away from the stairs - they will hop to the edge, but when they hear "ah ah" they turn around and run into the bedroom.

It's definitely the sounds mine respond to, not the words.

munchie understands this as well as "NO", he also responds to clapping when hes being naughty!

Back