• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having no accommodation is apparently OK!

Lillian

Warren Veteran
In regards to this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273759 I recieved a phone call from an RSPCA inspector a couple of days ago.

And now I'm absolutely fuming and wondering why I even bothered!

They waited over 3 weeks before even investigating, despite the fact I told them one bun had just been killed :evil: When they arrived the woman only had one bun left (guess Mr Fox is feeling pretty full up). They said the remaining bun seems to be in good health, however they noticed it has no accommodation. They said they are ok with it not having any accommodation during the day, as it's safe for it to be free range in the garden, however they've advised that the woman try to get her bun into the garden shed (full of lawn mowers and other garden junk). They saw she has no bedding (or hay) for the bun and advised she buy a bit of bedding, put some in a corner in the shed and try to get the bun in there at night if possible.. But other than that they're perfectly happy with things - Well I'm glad someone is.

And before anyone has a go at me saying some RSPCA folk are genuine caring people who work hard to help animals, I know this is true, I'm sure some really do go the extra mile to help animals but everyone I've had to deal with in recent years regarding homeless cats, a neglected horse and a neglected rabbit, couldn't seem to care less! It's RSPCA folk like that that give them a bad name and lose them support :evil:

I really wish I'd tried to get the older buns off her now :( Even though I have no extra space, at least they'd have been safe.

You weren't to know... You have two healthy happy baby bunnys whose lives you have saved and made such a difference to, you should be proud of that :love:
The law is against so much, you need a really caring inspector to want to make the effort to these things and you were unlucky to not deal with that

Your experience sounds about right for the RSPCA in my experience. I think they are far worse than useless with animal care, but excellent with PR (for whichever of their campaigns will bring in most money as opposed to having the greatest positive impact on animal welfare). I don't waste my time with them any longer.

Back