• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Super Big Outdoor Enclosures

LaraFarah

Alpha Buck
Hello,

I do not know if any of you remember me but I posted a while back about improving my rabbits' homes.

I am going to have a summer project and it would be to build a great enclosure for the rabbits, however, it got to be as cheap as possible. I am no stranger to hard work so I don't mind how hard the build will be but I have never done something like this before!

In about two years time, the farm will become a petting farm (open to public) if all goes well and so therefore I also want the minimum hutch/run combo size next to their enclosures so any tips for this?

So obviously the new enclosure should be able to allow the public to see the rabbits run, eat, play etc but unable to stroke them.

Any plans/tips/ideas?

(I have plenty of land so the bigger the better)

Oh and I have got two groups (ish, I will be bonding Pip with Darcy Salad when they both recovered from their neutering)

I may bond all of them together in the future.

No replies?

It is the petting farm part that people dislikes?
I am trying to be one of the best petting farm that gives the animals more space then what is required of that particular animal so the public could see that they are happier if care for well and have plenty of mental exercise as well as physical.

How many rabbits do you have altogether to be housed in the enclosure?

I would think an aviary panelled run would be the best for you. You could include an attached large shed as their "base" also. Include lots of hay containers/hangers, tunnels, toys and hidey holes.

You could laminate pictures of minimum sized housing to show next to your enclosure, together with pictures and text regarding feeding and other basic needs of rabbits.

You could also link to Make Mine Chocolate and other organisations campaigning for the rights of rabbits :D

I would think an aviary panelled run would be the best for you. You could include an attached large shed as their "base" also. Include lots of hay containers/hangers, tunnels, toys and hidey holes.

You could laminate pictures of minimum sized housing to show next to your enclosure, together with pictures and text regarding feeding and other basic needs of rabbits.

You could also link to Make Mine Chocolate and other organisations campaigning for the rights of rabbits :D

:thumb:

Brilliant idea :)

I have got 7 rabbits altogether so I was thinking about 50 foot by 20 for the 5 and then 20 foot by 10 for the 2? This okay? (not including the shed)

Sounds great. I think it would be nice if the bunnies had an enclosed area they could retreat to if the public got a bit much for them and they wanted a bit of quiet.

If all of your enclosures are going to be that good you're going to be a seriously good petting zoo!

:oops: I just like the best for my animals. I just spent my savings on a brand new cage for the chinchillas. I cannot stop looking at it ... its 4 foot high, 6 foot wide and 3 foot deep. I can live in it!

I will do an enclosed area too - it is a good idea, thank you.

Back