• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bladder sludge

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
George is a bunny that I took in three years ago, prior to my taking him in he sadly had EC which wasn't recognised by the vet until much later, he was left with urine incontinence and then was struck by fly strike, he made a good recovery but his previous owner could no longer cope with him

Since coming to us he has suffered from periodic bouts of urine incontinence and more recently he has suffered from bladder sludge, we have tried all sorts of medication, it clears it up for a month or two but then it comes back again, we decided to have xrays done last week and were horrified to see the results

Xray 1 shows the bladder full of sludge

GSayers1x2-1.jpg

Xray 2 show the bladder after it had been flushed

GSayers3x2-1.jpg

Unforunately, even though he has been flushed and flushed it has made very little difference :cry:

I dont know what to say Theo :cry:
I take it his bladder is the big white bit? If so it doesnt look much different in the bottom pic :(

Goodness.

Thank you for sharing Theo. Having recently gone through the bladder xray thing with Tululah, I didn't know where we'd be going with her. Now that it's been discounted as a stone or sludge but a tumour, I can see the distinct difference between your photos and mine.

Poor George.

It's so worrying, I really hope he can be helped but the flushing makes him sore :cry:

This looks like Artie's x-ray before his surgery (cystotomy). Basically the calcium was so hard it was like a golf ball and couldn't be squeezed out so had to be removed whole, surgically. I also had the wall of his bladder pointed out on his x-ray - it had a rough edge to it which indicated infection - why he had blood in his urine :cry::cry::cry: The mass of calcium meant that the urine that was trapped behind it became stale, causing irritation then infection of his bladder wall. This of course is why antibiotics give relieve but it will only come back again as all this is going on.

Poor, poor George. I really hope you can get him some help as that must be very painful. :cry::cry:

Thanks for posting. My piggie Sweetie had an x-ray for suspected stones and she was found to have a calcified mass at the entrance to her bladder. She went through a phase last year of getting UTI after UTI and I think that bladder sludge was the culprit.

Sadly there seem to be even fewer therapies for piggies than for buns.

I am sure we will be looking at surgery for him, he will be xray'd again soon and see if there is any difference

Oh gosh!
I have bunnies with bladder sludge problems that often require a bladder flush, but I have never seen anything as bad as that.:shock:
Good luck in what ever you decide to make him better:)

Back