PDA

View Full Version : Spaying after pregnancy

emmiiee
30-03-2011, 03:00 PM
So my vet said Matilda could be spayed in 4 weeks, however the baby is only 3 days old, surly it should be longer than this, or is it okay to get her spayed then? x

elis-mum
30-03-2011, 03:07 PM
she will still be feeding the baby won't she??

i'm no expert but it doesn't sound right to me. :?

emmiiee
30-03-2011, 03:22 PM
she will still be feeding the baby won't she??

i'm no expert but it doesn't sound right to me. :?

thats what i thought :/

Pegasys
30-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I would have said in 12 weeks at least. It is best to wait until the milk dries up and she has had a few weeks rest after raising the baby to make sure she is fit and healthy for the op.

emmiiee
30-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I would have said in 12 weeks at least. It is best to wait until the milk dries up and she has had a few weeks rest after raising the baby to make sure she is fit and healthy for the op.

hmm so im confussed now :/ who do i neut/spay first

elis-mum
30-03-2011, 04:41 PM
i'd get smartie done first as he is fit and healthy to go.

then in a few months do matilda, then that should give you time to save for the baby doing if you are keeping him/her and wait until it's old enough... is that what you meant? :?

Bunny Buddy
30-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Tink was done about 10-12 weeks after having her babies. I personally wouldn't want to put a doe through a spay any sooner than that.

In normal circumstances the babies would leave mum at about 8 weeks, then give her a couple of weeks rest and then she should be ready.

emmiiee
30-03-2011, 06:16 PM
i'd get smartie done first as he is fit and healthy to go.

then in a few months do matilda, then that should give you time to save for the baby doing if you are keeping him/her and wait until it's old enough... is that what you meant? :?

yhh but if its a boy i will have to seperate from mum at 8 weeks ish! because she won't be spayed by then x