• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bedding

Hi all

Our new house bunny is ready in 2 weeks, she's an adorable Mini Lop :love:

I'm almost set with the cage, food straw etc but just wondering which bedding to use as opposed to dust free shavings, etc. Ideally I want an alternative that isn't messy, smelly but comfortable and safe being the key. I've seen a few alternatives and I'm hoping for any advice on them please :)

1. Carefresh - I've read some reviews that it does have a smell and is quite costly.
2. Back 2 Nature bedding
3. Megazorb - from what I have read it seems quite cheap.

Also, would you recommend using any added straw on top at all?

She will have a seperate enclosed sleeping area, I've sourced some cheap, Original Pet Bed cut off's, recommended by our breeder, seem ideal to use as a comfy liner, it's also absorbant and washable. :)

I have a feeling our new bunny is going to be just a tad spoilt!! :oops:

Last edited:
I would use Megazorb as litter in a tray. You can litter train them which makes it easier to clean them out as you just empty the tray, rather than clean the whole cage.

I would then use vetbed or the original pet beds as flooring around the cage, and then I would use straw as bedding in the sleeping area. As rabbits love eating whilst toileting, I would put hay in a hay rack above the litter tray. :)

I would also advise getting two rabbits, instead of one as they are social animals. :)

Carefresh is the best but it does cost more. I'd personally use carefresh though as it isn't dusty at all and no smell to it either (or at least for US carefresh).

Even dust free shavings are bad, only aspen shavings are safe, which are supposed to be rare in the UK (which I'm guessing you're from because the way you spell "spoiled" :lol: )

I use megazorb, much cheaper than the other two so you can use more, it also smells less than wood pellet litter (the back 2 nature stuff).

You dont need straw if inside, a snuggle box stuffed with hay will be fine, and she can munch in there too then. You dont want her to eat straw or she wont eat enough hay, which should be 80% of her diet.

I just use carpet and blankets to line my cage, as he is litter trained.

Have a look at the care reference section on here for some good info for new bunny owners :) look especially at diet, neutering and vaccinations, as breeders sometimes give bad advice on these points.

Look up bunny proofing too, you'll want to get everything protected ready for free-range time! I learnt the hard (and expensive) way about bunny proofing before getting a bunny not after.

Back