• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone use just hay in litter boxes?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just curious? How successful it as a litter tray liner having a deep hay bed with no megazorb/newspaper? Thanks x

I tried.

It's hopeless, if you dont have something absorbant, the wee just sloshes around and gets over all the hay and then they wont eat it, so you waste loads of hay which becomes rather expensive.

I use just newspaper and hay. :) Spenser seems to regard a nibble of weed on hay as a particular delicacy. :mrgreen::roll: He will ocassionally have a fit of newspaper and tugging and ripping, but not to the extent it's a proble. I do use quite a thick layer of newspaper.

I tried using just hay. It needs changing at least once a day, and you just end up with a big puddle of wee, like Graham said.

The bunnies ended up with soggy feet, so I use newspaper now and change this every day.

I use about three or four, so long as I change it every morning its ok. They have three litter trays though so if they are using just the one you might need more.

Thanks.

How many sheets of newspaper do you use to keep it dry? I was only using one or two sheets.

Spenser has a washing up bowl, not a tray (becuase he has a big bum and would probably 'overshoot' a tray. He has three pages folded out longways, then an extra sheet for each of the sides. I do change the newspaper and any soiled hay daily, usually using some of the old hay that isn't weed on just to reminder Spenser that is where he is to go. This week I've been using less hay, but changing the whole lot daily as he is post-neuter and I want everything to be as clean as possible for him.

Back