• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much would it cost you to keep 20 rabbits?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'm trying to think of innovative ways to bring down the costs of caring for the 20 rabbits i have here.

Currently my routine is :

I clean out all the buns daily- using megazorb as a base. I've scrapped newspaper as i use so little it's hardly worth having down and i don't use large amounts when i do use it so it's pretty pointless. The hutches/ Cages get messed up easily and it seems to be a favorite for shredding.

Instead i use megazorb to line the 32l storage box, 62l storage box or 4ft indoor base. I then cover with hay.

Hay -I get farm bales delivered and i use two 100l bin liners of hay in trays for this many buns per day. That is about 2 slices of hay per bag i believe. I get hay delivered as and when i need it from the farm store for £6.00 delivered per bale. So around 8 bales is £48.00 a month except on 5 week months where it's abit more.

Lino- this works excellently- it cuts out bedding down costs massively. All have to do is fill and empty trays daily. Some trays however are 4ft bases when indoors so i fill and empty this daily also. The lino is just swept out daily any stray poos, but the buns are pretty good at using the litter trays. The 4ft bases are emptied daily. I am trying to save some clean megazorb but often end up throwing the lot.

Megazorb- i get through a bag every couple of days. It costs £8.40 a bag delivered from the farm shop. I am wondering if there is a more cost effective way of bedding litter trays than this that is as effective. £100.80 goes on megazorb and that gets 3 bags a week.

Pellets- I've bought some allen and page pellets- delivered costs £30.50 rabbit pellets x40kg- I have been using science selective, but i'm contemplating a complete change to these as science selective is about £18.00 for 10kg there abouts which is what i have been spending.

Fresh food - This is hardest to work out as i buy in with my own stuff. This month I'll be separating this cost out. It is around £100.00 a month I'm spending at present on greens, carrots and bunches of coriander and parsely.

Then there are toys etc but I'm only working out the absolute basics here.
£278.00 min month for basic costs i work that out at. This doesn't include vet bills obviously as they are not static.

Any ideas on how i could save money anywhere? Would it cost you the same or would you do things differently?

I've done away with newspaper, but i'd probably only need about 2 newspapers per day to put in the litter trays covered with hay, which would cost me £39.00 a month for the daily express x 60 per month. Not sure if it would be better to go back to this perhaps.

Ecobed- Missed this off- it's £13.00 delivered and i need 2 bales a month. I've just changed to vet bed though for the poorly buns as suggested by members of ru.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm having a strong deja vu here - didn't you post this already?

Ok - bulk buy all food & ask for discount.
Get big round bales of hay - I buy them for £20
Lino/carpet - ask carpet places for free offcuts
Veg - ask local supermarket for freebies.

I would say my lot cost me a lot less than £278, except for in a vaccination mth or if one is ill

I have 15 here at min (not all mine) & I just worked out, is nearer £50 a month.

The megazorb is what takes up most money it seems. Not sure if there would be any alternative though, since you say they rip up newspaper.

Don't have things delivered- pick it up yourself.

How many indoor buns do you have? I use carpet in my buns indoor enclosures.

Also, maybe not 100% clean out the buns every day. Just clean the most soiled bits every day and total clean every second day.

I'm having a strong deja vu here - didn't you post this already?

Ok - bulk buy all food & ask for discount.
Get big round bales of hay - I buy them for £20
Lino/carpet - ask carpet places for free offcuts
Veg - ask local supermarket for freebies.

I would say my lot cost me a lot less than £278, except for in a vaccination mth or if one is ill

I have 15 here at min (not all mine) & I just worked out, is nearer £50 a month.

wow okay so it can be done. I couldn't store a big round bale i don't think. Will call the feed suppliers about food and i can store that in bulk. Lino and carpet- i did buy all this but yes will ask for offcuts in future. Veggies- i didn't know that you could do that at stores. I'll contact my local sainsburys and see what they say. Thanks for all the tips. Mine is working out about £600.00 with vet bills on top, so i do want to bring it down some if i can.

The megazorb is what takes up most money it seems. Not sure if there would be any alternative though, since you say they rip up newspaper.

Don't have things delivered- pick it up yourself.

I could have another go at this for the buns who don't tear it up and just use megazorb for the buns who do. Unfortunately i don't drive so can't really pick anything up.

How many indoor buns do you have? I use carpet in my buns indoor enclosures.

Also, maybe not 100% clean out the buns every day. Just clean the most soiled bits every day and total clean every second day.

I have lino down in the enclosures which works fine as they use the storage boxes or indoor bases for toileting in. I just sweep the lino a couple of times daily. I do clean them 100% everyday, will try being abit more conservative with bedding. The megazorb is only in boxes /bases. I use a couple of scoops for 32l but four foot bases use alot more - maybe 8 scoops and around 4 scoops for 62l. It doesn't go far.

I have lino down in the enclosures which works fine as they use the storage boxes or indoor bases for toileting in. I just sweep the lino a couple of times daily. I do clean them 100% everyday, will try being abit more conservative with bedding. The megazorb is only in boxes /bases. I use a couple of scoops for 32l but four foot bases use alot more - maybe 8 scoops and around 4 scoops for 62l. It doesn't go far.

So the megazorb is in the complete base of the cage or just the litter tray? Could you not just get a litter tray for the base of the cage, then use carpet off cuts elsewhere?

A bit like this..........
P1010838.jpg

Pics would help my thick brain if you had any?

So the megazorb is in the complete base of the cage or just the litter tray? Could you not just get a litter tray for the base of the cage, then use carpet off cuts elsewhere?

A bit like this..........
P1010838.jpg

Pics would help my thick brain if you had any?

Megazorb is in the complete base of the cage. Will get some pics when i can today and try post.

Megazorb- i get through a bag every couple of days. It costs £8.40 a bag delivered from the farm shop. I am wondering if there is a more cost effective way of bedding litter trays than this that is as effective. £100.80 goes on megazorb and that gets 3 bags a week.

I have 8 bunnies and use 1 bag of megazorb in 3 weeks or 1.3 per 4 weeks.

*If* my maths is correct you have 2.5 times as many bunnies as I have so I'd use 3.25 bags in a month. I also use Easibed (less absorbant) just to top the litter off but I only get through 1 bag (?£7?) in about 3 months.

I have 8 bunnies and use 1 bag of megazorb in 3 weeks or 1.3 per 4 weeks.

*If* my maths is correct you have 2.5 times as many bunnies as I have so I'd use 3.25 bags in a month. I also use Easibed (less absorbant) just to top the litter off but I only get through 1 bag (?£7?) in about 3 months.

I have easibed in the shed x 2 bags- i didn't like it when i used it on it's own, but will use it to top the megazorb and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for explaining how you use it :)

I have easibed in the shed x 2 bags- i didn't like it when i used it on it's own, but will use it to top the megazorb and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for explaining how you use it :)

Easibed is horrible when used on it's own. I got the idea of doing topping up just to use up the bag I'd bought and it works really well.

Easibed is horrible when used on it's own. I got the idea of doing topping up just to use up the bag I'd bought and it works really well.

Thanks will be doing that. The bales are big enough kg wise. Looking forward to actually getting them out of the shed now and using them.

you said you gave up on Newspapers and before that you were buying them:shock:

they can be very useful and save loads of money No need to buy them
just ask friends and family, neighbours and any offices near you to dsave them for you..you'll be amazed as the response

Which area are you in as people may be able to suggest cheaper suppliers?

Re veg..I know it's nice to buy fresh herbs but if trying to keep costs down then stick to the cheaper veggies..if the buns are getting lots of nice hay and a good quality pellet..a small selection of cheaper veg would hurt..with fresh herbs and other things being added as treats now and then

as for £278 on toys..that is just un neccessary..
you can go to a charity shop and buy 2nd hand baby toys very cheaply..or even just buy the new from basic stores..clean flower pots stuffed with hay, same for yogurt pots, ktichen roll holders etc..along with un sprayed apple and pear sticks are all available very cheaply and/or free..and once you have boight tunnels and toys you won't need to replace them every month so that £278 can go down to about £20 :D

just ask friends and family, neighbours and any offices near you to dsave them for you..you'll be amazed as the response

Re veg..I know it's nice to buy fresh herbs but if trying to keep costs down then stick to the cheaper veggies..if the buns are getting lots of nice hay and a good quality pellet..a small selection of cheaper veg would hurt..with fresh herbs and other things being added as treats now and then

you can go to a charity shop and buy 2nd hand baby toys very cheaply..or even just buy the new from basic stores..clean flower pots stuffed with hay, same for yogurt pots, ktichen roll holders etc..along with un sprayed apple and pear sticks are all available very cheaply and/or free..and once you have boight tunnels and toys you won't need to replace them every month so that £278 can go down to about £20 :D

I'm near leeds/bradford.

Oh no- that was the total cost of the above- £278, for bedding and food plus another £13 x 2(ecobed for poorly buns) = £304.00 total cost for basics.

I spend money on toys but as and when. I've not included that cost. I do spent £200 in a shop to at pets at home, but yes that isn't essential.

The corriander is 150grams x 2 for £1.50 which i thought was quite cheap. Which are the cheapest veggies in your view?

Yes worked out newspapers would be £39 to buy a months worth if i didn't use megazorb and just did newpaper and hay.

Thanks alot xx

I fully agree with this :wave:

I don't buy herbs for mine unless I have a sick bun who needs encouragement to eat.

I also don't buy toys, unless I see a particularly good special offer...and that's probably once a year or something like that.

Newspapers are great as litter tray liners...they definitely reduce the amount of megazorb you need to use in each tray.

Not including vets fees, it probably costs me about £100 per month for 30 rabbits, so would cost roughly £70 for 20 rabbits. That is for megazorb, veg and hay.

The corriander is 150grams x 2 for £1.50 which i thought was quite cheap. Which are the cheapest veggies in your view?

I only give mine spring greens or cabbage, lettuce, celery, carrots and apples.

Cabbage/spring greens = 80p
Lettuce = 50p
Celery = 80p
Carrots = 50p for 1.5kg
Apples = 90p for 1kg

I only give mine spring greens or cabbage, lettuce, celery, carrots and apples.

Cabbage/spring greens = 80p
Lettuce = 50p
Celery = 80p
Carrots = 50p for 1.5kg
Apples = 90p for 1kg

Thanks that is really helpful. How much would you say you feed a week to all your buns. I.e how many cabbages between them, bags of carrots etc?

I fully agree with this :wave:

I don't buy herbs for mine unless I have a sick bun who needs encouragement to eat.

I also don't buy toys, unless I see a particularly good special offer...and that's probably once a year or something like that.

Newspapers are great as litter tray liners...they definitely reduce the amount of megazorb you need to use in each tray.

Not including vets fees, it probably costs me about £100 per month for 30 rabbits, so would cost roughly £70 for 20 rabbits. That is for megazorb, veg and hay.

I found myself using one scoop with newspaper, but the newspapers i was paying for. I guess if i get them from offices etc as suggested it would help.

Do you feed pellets or is it just hay and veggie diet your lot are on?

Also how many bales of hay do you use? I think i could use less especially with the dental buns that just can't even eat hay. I have some really good hay eaters and some who eat virtually non. I think i could definately be less wasteful here too.

I'm not sure if you can do this but I used to get newspapers (for ducklings) from a school that had a big dumpster where people are allowed to drop from paper to recycle. Apparently stores or something drop it off there because there are stacks and stacks of brand new newspaper tied together. So try to find somewhere like that. You could get a never ending supply from somewhere like that for free.

Some will get bored of ripping the newspaper up but for the ones who always do you can put an extra thick layer of newspaper and scatter a bit of hay/megazorb over it.

I would try growing veg/herbs if you can. That really helps me (mainly for my birds).

Back