• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can bunnies sneeze without being ill?

fairy75

Young Bun
putting all my buns back in the summerhouse for bed tonight, they all seem their normal selfs, I turned my back to get the food out and I heard a distinct sneeze:?

should i be worried, not one of them seems snuffly

Might be sneezing a bit of hay up or something. Nothing to worry about per se, but if you keep hearing sneezes or notice the snuffles then it is time to visit the vet.

The odd sneeze on it's own isn't anything to worry about. Dust, pollen etc can all cause them to sneeze just like us.

Jenson sneezes sometimes, the worst was when I hadn't had him long and I put straw in as bedding, he just sat there sneezing so I totally cleared EVERYTHING and went with just hay.
Now he only sneezes when there are little pieces in his hay!

Check their nose and the inside of their front legs paws (it's where they wipe) if there is evidence of or you see/hear lots of sneezing then they likely need the vets (lots of people here with more experience than me here though).

Spenser did his first sneeze tonight. He's in his best form ever otherwise, so I'm not concerned.

We had a bunny once called Keegan that never stopped sneezing and we took him to the vets on several occasions and then on one visit the vet removed a long strand of hay from Keegan's nose and he stopped sneezing straight away.

Thumper does the occasional sneeze - he'll have got a cobweb on his nose or fur round his nose when he's moulting. He had trouble with dusty hay last year too. I changed it immediately & he stopped sneezing immediately.

So yes, the occasional sneeze due to irritation is normal.

The hay I have at the moment is quite dusty - even makes me sneeze. The buns sneeze when putting their faces right in it :roll: :lol:

None of them have runny eyes/noses. I think it is normal if it mean they are just clearing out the nasal passages.

The hay I have at the moment is quite dusty - even makes me sneeze. The buns sneeze when putting their faces right in it :roll: :lol:

None of them have runny eyes/noses. I think it is normal if it mean they are just clearing out the nasal passages.

I have no scientific proof for a personal thought. I'm concerned that a lot of dust eg dusty hay, MIGHT be a factor which can trigger snuffles. The reason for it is that humans who used to work in a dusty environment long term had more URTI eg sinusitis than those who didn't.

Personally I'd try to get a different hay, even bailed hay, or spray it with water to damp down the dust in this situation.

Back