• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rascal keeps eating the megazorb!!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
As the title says really ....... I watched him digging down into his litter tray to get to the megazorb then he happily sat there munching on it!! :shock:

Will it do him any harm??

I'm wondering if he's doing it in protest ..... his INGS hay hasn't arrived yet and so all he has just now is the baled hay, some P@H meadow hay and some Excel marigold stuff - none of which he appears to be keen on!! :roll:

Or could it be a sign of something else??? :?

I had the same prob today with Bio litter, I had to take it away after ten minutes of using it for the first time. Back to sawdust and hay on top of tray at mo. Did get some great advise on here earlier:wave:

if your rabbit or guineapig is eating Megazorb..REMOVE it
It is designed to absorb lots of moisture so if eaten will swell up once swallowed and can be very dangerous..could cause choking or gut blockages

Oh bloody hell :shock: ........... will take it out now and replace it with newspaper or something for the time being.

Any idea why he could have started doing this? He's never done it before!! :?

Someone once told me that if a bunny eats paper its a sign of a deficiency ..... could it be the same with this?? Or could I have caused it by hiding their pellets in the hay ... thus encouraging them to dig to find them ?!?!

Take it away...it wasn't until after we bought Joejoe indoors after his stasis last month that my OH and me noticed he wasn't just nibling at the odd it like i'd seen him doing outside, he was actually eating it like it was food :shock: i'm now convinced it was the megazorb that contributed to him being so poorly. It is cardboardy stuff after all, I also can't put loo roll tubes or cardboard boxes in any more either as he actually eats that too rather than just shredding it :roll:

he probably just wants things to chew and eat..get some apple twigs..I happen to know someone selling them!;):lol:

Seriously some rabbits are a bit thick and will eat cardboard so you have to watch and see if they chew and drop, or swallow bits of things that could be dangerous

Do you cover it with a lot of hay? Is it hay they like? None of mine have ever shown any interest in eating it but they adore the meadow hay I get so they are usually far too busy nomming that.

Mine just eat the hay i put on top- i fill a 32l storage box with meadow hay and it's practically gone by morning. I have megazorb only underneath that and don't really have any problems with them eating it.

I tried covering it in hay and he just rummaged through it to get to the megazorb, i think once they've got a taste for eating it they won't let a bit of hay get in their way :lol: This of course could just be Joejoe, he is a bit daft and eats walls, brushes, boots, handbags, wires, doormats..anything he shouldn't really :roll::lol:

Jo,

Biscuit did this the first time we used megazorb months and months ago.

I reintroduced it when trying to get better quality hay and he now ignores it (as far as eating is concerned) just make sure theres PLENTY of hay on top of it so its not visible :wave:

Thanks very much for all your replies, really appreciate it!!

I do tend to put LOADS of hay on top of the megazorb but lately they seem to have 'gone off' the baled hay. However, they also get loads of 'posh hay' each day too ... although they're not too keen on the stuff we have just now (currently waiting for delivery of INGS n meadow hay from H4P).

I've never seen him do it before but as I was sat with them he dug right down to the bottom and had I'd say 2 - 3 mouthfulls ..... then carried on eating the hay!!

I'm really wondering if its because I occasionally hide their pellets in their hay and they have to dig down into it to find them ....... they've now discovered megazorb instead!?!?

They have plenty of stuff to chew and they do use them! I've put newspaper in the bottom for the time being - covered by huuuge amounts of hay, but they also have a bit of a tendency to eat paper too!! :shock:

I may try and re-introduce it once the INGs hay arrives ..... putting a layer of megazorb then a layer of baled hay then a big mound of the INGs, that may stop him digging down!?!?!

Back