• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

good place to buy hay in the us?

robynbyn

Warren Scout
i usually just buy bags from walmart, but my girls go through them so quickly it costs a fortune.. anyone in the us have any suggestions of a good, decent priced place to buy hay from online?

Yeah, thats what I do. I love the timothy hay at walmart but it does get costly.

Bales would be the best way to go. You can buy bales at farms, feed stores, hardware store (ACE, possibly Home Depot, Lowes). Usually they're about $5 a bale, I think. You can ask on craigslist in your area for good hay near you. Thats what I did (for bales) and got told of a few places that I"m going to check out. Some farms actually offered to sell me hay but it was alfalfa.

Buying hay online would probably end up being more expensive with shipping costs. I don't think we have thehayexpert here :?

lowes, eh? i hadnt thought to check there.. but i do have a few feed stores within driving distance.. maybe ill check them out this weekend..how would i store a bale of hay though? im in florida, i can only imagine the size of the bugs that would try to make their homes in a bale..lol

I have no idea where to find a bale in the US as I'm not :p But... if it helps, we store our bale in a garden storage box designed for chair cushions and things. The lid opens from the top and is an ideal size for hay. We keep ours in the garage as I'm not convinced it's watertight and I think in the sun condensation might form inside. As it is in the garage it's cool and shaded.

lowes, eh? i hadnt thought to check there.. but i do have a few feed stores within driving distance.. maybe ill check them out this weekend..how would i store a bale of hay though? im in florida, i can only imagine the size of the bugs that would try to make their homes in a bale..lol

I'm in Florida too :D

I know ACE Hardware store definitely has hay in my area but I'm not sure about the quality. Its been awhile since I got any there.

I asked about storing hay on here a couple weeks ago, as the humidity is so bad in FL. I was advised to keep bales in cardboard boxes rather than plastic containers because plastic won't allow it to "breathe" so it'd be more likely to mold. I'm worried about the bugs too, like cockroaches. :? I'm going to put a cotton blanket/comforter over the top of the cardboard box and hope bugs don't get in.

whereabouts in florida? im in tampa, im gonna try a feed store this weekend...hopefully they will have something

Some people keep them in duvet covers. I'm sure if you tie a knot in it bugs won't be able to get in unless they chew in... Someone said they kept it in a duvet cover inside and used it as a bean bag. :lol:

Back