• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating a day after VHD vac. any advice?

Dandelion22

Warren Scout
So I took both my boys for their second yearly VHD jabs yesterday, they were really good and afterwards were a bit more dosile than usual but jut chilled for the rest of the day, and were eating.

This morning when i went to feed them, Charlie was straight on the pellets but alfie wasn't, he was in the sleeping bit and stamped at me. I left plenty of hay and went off to the gym.

I came back just before 12 hoping for some playtime in the garden, but Alfie hadnt moved still, was not interested in food (pellets, hay, grass, broccoli, basil). He allowed me to have a cuddle and he's just been laid there next to me since, breathing quite heavily and definately not himself :( he managed a little basil leaf but didnt seem at all impressed by it.

So I have two questions..

1. could this be a side effect of the VHD jab, anyone heard of that being the case before?

2. I have him booked into the vets for 2 in our village. The only problem is it is the same vet as yesterday who I thought was quite abrupt, rude and could not have been less interested in rabbits. There is another brach of the same verys in the next town but itll take about half an hour (as opposed to 5 mins). Would you guys put him through a longer car journey to see a vet who cares or spare him the extra stress and forget how I felt about this vet?

Any advice will be apprechiated . When they were in boarding the guys said they eat more (hay etc) than any bunny theyd seen, so its really unusual for him to be off his food

Yes, it could be a reaction to the Vaccine, especially if it was the CYLAP one he had.

As to what Vet you use, well why not call and speak with the Vet you saw yesterday and explain what is going on re Alfie. If the Vet is unhelpful or if you just get the feeling he isn't interested then perhaps going to the other Vet would be a good idea, albeit it further away. Alfie is not a bit lame on a front leg is he ? This too can be a s/e of CYLAP and so *if* his leg hurts that'd be another reason why he isn't eating.

Hope Alfie feels better soon xx

Is there different brands of the jab then and which is the better to have if my vet uses more then one?

I would take him a bit further to the friendlier vet. I think you wont have peace of mind if you go to the abrupt one. Hope the lil fella is ok.

Thanks for the replies, he has now eaten a small broccoli flourette (never been happier to see something go into his chops!!) However he is still NOT his usual bouncey self all huddled up and looking worried.

I did a search and have read a few similar posts on this forum, Twisted Angel it seems like there are two and cylap is the one to definiately avoid, I'm sure someone else will know more, I wasn't aware there were any problems before this morning :(

No obvious signs of a limp although he's not moving much so its hard to say. I tried to have a feel of his legs and he didnt apprechiate it. Just breaks my heart to see such my active, naughty baby so disinterested in everything :(

There are 3 - Cylap, Lapinject and now Anivac :wave:

Cylap has constantly bad reactions with some buns unfortunately, but it seems to be more often than not im afraid :(

I guess Alfie had the Cylap vaccine.

Some Cylap buns have side effects for 3-4 days before getting any better - beginning to eat is a great start.

Perhaps tempt him with anything you know is a favourite?

Does he eat herbs? If so - strong smelling ones, such as Parsley, Coriander, Dill etc would be a great start :)

Thanks for the replies, he has now eaten a small broccoli flourette (never been happier to see something go into his chops!!) However he is still NOT his usual bouncey self all huddled up and looking worried.

I did a search and have read a few similar posts on this forum, Twisted Angel it seems like there are two and cylap is the one to definiately avoid, I'm sure someone else will know more, I wasn't aware there were any problems before this morning :(

No obvious signs of a limp although he's not moving much so its hard to say. I tried to have a feel of his legs and he didnt apprechiate it. Just breaks my heart to see such my active, naughty baby so disinterested in everything :(

Awww poor lil bun. Really hope the vets help him feel better soon.

I hope my vet doesnt use Cylap :cry: Mine are having their jabs this afternoon at 4pm :?

Awww poor lil bun. Really hope the vets help him feel better soon.

I hope my vet doesnt use Cylap :cry: Mine are having their jabs this afternoon at 4pm :?

How did their jabs go? Hope they're ok.

Alfie was prescribed plenty of TLC and I was told to keep a close eye on him. Apparently buns feeling like this is a well known side effect, but they didnt have a good reason for not warning me about it. It was cylap that had been used.

On the bright side I made a herb salad for him (Thanks for the tip Graham) which he has now worked his way through :) he is still huddled up looking sorry for himself but I'm so pleased he's eating!

Next year I will be asking them not to use cylap

Harley when he had his first VHD which was Cylap, did develop the limp and it was only through internet research we discovered this; our vet knew nothing about it (hence we changed to a more rabbit friendly vet). We had to give some painkiller drops for about five days and it seemed to heal.

As for Sparky, he always gets in a funk whenever he has a vaccine but we have noticed that with the VHD (our new vet uses lapinject) he does go off his pellets for a day but still eats hay.

Back