• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed/Kennel peeps - do you use straw?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Shed/Kennel and aviary peeps - do you use straw in your bun's accommodation to keep them warm? If so, how much do you use, where do you use it and how often do you clean them out? I have two big underbed storage boxes full of hay, but wondered if it was worth stuffing the enclosed part of the kennel with straw for warmth? The reason why I haven't done this to date is the buns seemed to like to sit outside on top of the rabbit hutch in the aviary. They have a cosy cat bed in their kennel in the enclosed part on a high shelf but generally I never see them use it or the warmer parts of the kennel, even during this winter we've just had so I didn't think putting in straw would help keep them warm because of this and I was concerned they would just use it as litter and pee everywhere, thus making it a lot harder to clean up (they are good at going in their trays for pee but not for poop):roll:.

Thanks

Jo

No. The inside bit of the kennel is fully insulated with polystyrene sheets and there are carpet tiles on the floor. They also have a dog bed stuffed with straw as a 'bed' but they never use it :roll:. In the run part, they have two litter trays that they wee and poop in and three trays that they just sit in and never use as a toilet. I don't know how they differentiate between the trays but they do :lol:. All these trays have Megazorb on the bottom with a thick layer of hay over the top.

i have a shed with lino and mats on top of that (buddy hated the lino :roll:)

at the back of the shed i have a 2 tier hutch as well which i stuff with straw and hay for them to use if they want it. i also have a big cardboard box in the shed also full of straw which they seem to prefer! :)

I used to put hay on the floor of my shed but it seemed to encourage them to wee on the floor and not in the tray. So I stopped that. They have lino on floor. They have a hutch in there that they have free range in, I stuff that with hay but I don't think they really go in there. They have more fun pulling all the hay out of the hutch all over! They have their litter tray and also a big plastic box thing full of hay which they seem to use as another bit litter tray.

Back