• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice for rabbit crate please

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
Morning everyone,

looking to buy milly a dog crate for her new home, not sure what type or size tho?

Shes a silver fox and fully grown. Would like her to hve lots of room but dont want to buy a huuuge crate. Ive seen a few on ebay but they all have metl trays, would a plastic one be best?

Would 32" or 36" be best?

Any advice would be great :D an pics of yours would be fab also xxxxxxx

well she has her own box room so the cage door could be left open for her, shes brought into the living room to roam every evening when we are there, and sometimes through the day when my toddler is napping.

Thing is if i got a 48" crate then there wouldnt be alot of room to roam the box room.

not sure whats best for her.

well she has her own box room so the cage door could be left open for her, shes brought into the living room to roam every evening when we are there, and sometimes through the day when my toddler is napping.

Thing is if i got a 48" crate then there wouldnt be alot of room to roam the box room.

not sure whats best for her.

In which case, if shes in a box room, i wouldnt bother with a crate or cage.

Just give her a litter tray, toys and a hidey hole, be it a big cardboard box or something similar? Would be a lot cheaper than buying a dog crate :)

I REALLY want to do that, but my OH is worried that she would munch the carpet and wee on the floor.

Cleaned out her cage yesterday and discovered that shes not using her litter tray now, Shes been weeing in her hide, so not sure if shes been sleeping in it?

Only got her on thursday last week from a rescue home so things are still really new for her.

I REALLY want to do that, but my OH is worried that she would munch the carpet and wee on the floor.

Cleaned out her cage yesterday and discovered that shes not using her litter tray now, Shes been weeing in her hide, so not sure if shes been sleeping in it?

Only got her on thursday last week from a rescue home so things are still really new for her.

So what is her accomodation right now? I thought you said she had the box room to herself? Sorry, i've not had much sleep - if ive missed something i apologise :)

Shes in a large rabbits cage which is from pets at home but obviously is not right for her for size etc, the cage is in a box room which is off the living room, we leave her cage open and box room door open for her when we are in the livingroom so that she can roam, but she comes to the edge of the cage but is too weary yet to come out an explore. I have taken her out twice since thursday which she didnt like, she just hid behind the sofa:(

So what we are doing now is just waiting for her to hop out of her cage in her own time. Over the past 2 days her confidence has grown a little, she is v curious.

Just really want her out of her cage into something bigger for her asap.

I too would just give her the whole room with a table to hide under, maybe even put her litter tray under the table. I find my lionheads will wee where they feel safe, especially if there is something soft there, so any carriers, beds, hideaways will be weed on. The only thing they don't seem to wee on are fleece blankets out in the open. Could you also get an offcut of lino to cover the carpet?

Is she spayed? That also will affect her litter training.

you havent had her for very long at all.....and some buns need potty training....and if youve only got this one bunny and no other pets...weeing and pooping is what theyd cause..the weeing and pooping is a territorial marker.

bertie does it on the floor where people have been standing ....:oops: its HIS house and he owns all of us:lol:
he has been having antbx injections every 5 days for 6 weeks and the animals at home lady comes orund to give them to him..hed had enough the other day and he got down and backed up almost against her shoes and peed a huge extra stnky wee:shock::oops::lol:

hes always weeing and pooping if hes feeling threatened..he is the dirtiest bun ive ever had but now i know why he does it..i am still miffed cleaning it up...but his way of showing displeasure:lol:

we had a rottweiler crate..think it was a 48"..i know it was no smaller...and wed leave the door open for oscar to come and go as he pleased...he only slept in it overnight..and he was a mini lop:love:

if you get some cheap off cuts of lino you can make a playpen idea and cover the area with lino...making sure the litter tray..with enough leeway in case a pee over the edge occurs........and food and water can be sited on the lino.
A huge cardboard box or one big enough for one bunny....cut the opened flaps off....stand it on those cut edges...mark out a door at one end...and a door at one side..furthest away from the first door. Use a breadknife to cut it if you have too...this is now the safe box......put a bit of a blankie or fleece in here with buns fave cuddly toy.....and shell learn its her spot to feel safe.

having her speyed will be a great help:wave:

If she is not going to have the door open and access to the box room 24/7 then she needs as large a cage as possible. The minimum size you should get her is 12square foot - so this is a 6x2ft hutch or a 4x3ft dog crate (this is the 48 inch ones), or you can get a dog pen.

If she is going to have access to the room 24/7, just take the wire top off the cage you have and leave the base, so she can come and go as she pleases.

For litter training, find out where her 'spot' to wee is and put a litter tray there. When you clean out the tray, pop a little of the dirty litter back in so she can still smell where to go, just till she gets the hang of going there. Dont worry about poops at this stage, they normally follow eventually, although some buns never become fully litter trained. When she is old enough, getting her spayed will help.

Back