• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need to be groomed?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I have 2 shorthaired rabbits, do I need to brush them? I have got a small pet brush but I didnt know if because they were shorthaired whether they'd need it?

I never have if that helps. I just stroke them with my hands and gather up the excess fur that way.

One exception was my Nancy, but she needed help to groom.

If they're moulting I pull some of their fur out with my fingers and then I brush them... I don't know if you have to but I imagine it will stop them from eating so much fur. When mine go through a heavy moult they have lots of poop stuck together with fur (normal poop, just connected with fur).

I only groom my 2 long haireds as they get matted fairly easily :roll:

I used to groom my shorthairs a bit at first to get them used to me, but now I find that giving them a good fuss and stroke removes a lot of loose fur and I don't go near them with a brush now at all.

I didn't groom my two too much as they are short haired, but i am convinced Bobby moulting and ingesting too much hair is what caused her gut to slow down and that made her not interested in her food. So what I suggest is wet you hands slightly and just stroke them, all the excess fur will come off on to your hands, I find this much quicker than grooming.

Lots of my customers have thier rabbits groomed when they come here. The rabbits appear very relaxed and very happy afterwards. I always get lots of hair out far more than you think looking at them. I have also found that some rabbits that have been in a bit of a mess appear to give up self grooming - almost like a depression. Once I clean them up and give them a good groom they pick up and start to groom themselves again.

On some older rabbits you can see a line where they groom their top half but can't get to the bottom part. Those rabbits always appear much more comfortable after a good goom as it allows the air to flow throw the coat

Depends on lots of factors.

If you find brushing them difficult, as they dont like it etc, wet your hands just a little and run your hands over them softly and you'll find a lot of the loose fur comes to your hands.

:wave:

I do when they get to there really hair falling off stage as otherwise the run looks like a winterwonderland and panic about them digesting it, they love being groomed though so its not a problem.

I groom mine when they are going through a moult. You would be surprised at the amount of loose fur that you get when they are moulting. I use a cat comb.

I groom my short haired lops just when they moult and usually I just gently pull out the tufts. Nutmeg I just groom her mane on occasion and Smudge gets a regular brush all over with a comb.

Back