• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Future First-Time Bunny Owner(s) :)

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
So, I'm Sophia, I'm 21 in July. I've always wanted a rabbit and my boyfriend, Charlie, and I feel that we are ready to make the big commitment... a bunny. We've been discussing it since October and I've been craving a house rabbit since I knew what a rabbit was!

I have a few (probably stupid) questions to ask.

1.) I know hay needs to be fed ad lib. but how much, roughly, should one expect, say, a dwarf lop to chow down in a week in kilos?

2.) We would like to start out with one rabbit (I am literally home ALL the time despite allegedly being a student: my timetable is pretty barren, and Charlie is a philosophy student so he's at home all the time too haha) and we've been shopping around for accommodation for said bunbun. For an indoor rabbit with supervised free range is a 5(L) x 3 (W) x 2 (H) cage a suitable size?

3.) Are lop eared rabbits still able to convey as much emotion with their ears as other rabbits? (Charlie wants to know, he worries that a lop won't be very expressive and that we might miss some important "i hate/ love what you did just then" signals that will be important for the development of our relationship with the rabbit)

4.) I'm terrified that I might harm a bunny if I clip its nails (i hate having my own nails clipped so I can't imagine it being any more enjoyable for a rabbit), is filing them a viable option? I've seen a few nail files for bunnies about and it seems much less aggressive than clipping.

5.) Being students, we go home at holidays. Home is about an hour/ an hour and ten mins. away from uni on a motorway, is this feasible for a bunny? And what's the best way to get a bunny used to being in the car? I was thinking that putting its house (from the cage) into the carrier so that it has something familiar to snuggle down in would reduce the stress? I know they like things that are familiar, it was just a thought. I was also thinking an ice pod would be pretty much essential as my car (being old) has a tendency to get a bit on the cosy side.

At home-home I have a cat but the cat is not allowed in my bedroom (a rule which is effectively enforced) so when I'm home the rabbit will have free run of that room and my bathroom, totally cat free. If my cat and rabbit get along would they be allowed some time together? My cat is 13 and sleeps 80% of the time, eats 10% of the time and watches tv the other 10%, he's docile to say the least.
I also have a dog at home-home. She's excitable when I arrive but once I've been in the house 30 seconds she gets bored of the sight of me and then she's as docile, if not more-so, than the cat and is also not allowed in my room (being elbowed by a Dalmatian is not fun) if I introduce them slowly on neutral territory will they get on?

We want to give our rabbit a long, happy life so any advice you can give would be amazing :)

Hi there :wave: First of all congratulations on deciding to get rabbits :) I'm also a student (in my 3rd year) and got my bun, Oscar last november. Can I ask what you are studying? I'm a physics student, so many lectures/labs!! Well, not anymore, but still...

1- Every bun is different, Oscar is a dwarf rabbit and probably eats between half a kilo and a kilo a week? As long as they eat a pile the same size as themselves or bigger, I think they are ok. Speaking of diets, I would recommend a pellet and not a museli mix, and only a small amount (like an eggcup). This prevents selective eating.

2- I would try to give as much space as possible if you can. I originally bought a ferplast 120 cage (I think its 120x50cm or something like that) but after seeing Oscar shut inside miserable, I have ended up giving him free range of the downstairs at all times. This thread discusses different indoor accommodation, and there are lots of others on the housing board which you may find useful

3- I've only got an up-eared bun, but they act through so much more than just their ears I doubt you will have a problem there.

4-I don't clip Oscars nails, I get them done at the vets because I am scared to do it myself :oops:

5- Oscar has travelled the 2 and a half hour train journey between my uni house and my parents house on train and in a car with no problems. To get him in his carrier we put his food in in the morning, and he hops right in!
I'm not sure how you would go about introducing a bun and other animals because I have never done it, but I would never leave them alone unsupervised.

Other advice- have you considered getting a pair of rabbits? Apparently rabbits are very sociable and like to live in pairs or more (I didn't know this when I got Oscar, but I'm getting another bunny to live with him next month!). They also really need to be vaccinated against Myxi and VHD, and neutered/spayed.

Have you considered getting a rabbits from a rescue? There are so many unwanted buns out there, plus they will have been vaccinated, neutered and bonded if there is more than one before you get them.

Just ask if you have any more questions! :wave:

1. I have no idea in kilos. If it helps though my four will go through a bale (which I think is 15kg?) in a month.

2. You might find it easier to designate a bunny room and proof it. 5x3 is what I used to have. It's ok but I prefer them having a room. It means you aren't taking 15 sq ft out of your living area but instead sharing a larger area.

3. Not as much but they can definitely convey their emotions. Ears are only part of it, head movements, body position all come into it too. My lops can swivel their ears forward so far they cover their eyes.

4. Files aren't good for bunny nails. If you're worried you can ask the vet to do it for you when bunny has it's vaccinations.

5. Depends on the rabbit. Mine do half an hour and back to the vets with varying effects. Smudge doesn't like it and will go into a sulk when we get home, Nutmeg dislikes the car but deals with it, my lops really don't care. My lops are very laid back. :oops:

As for cats and dogs I'll pass to someone else as I've have neither.

Hi Sophia!

1. Hard to say. My bun is a terrible hay eater. A general rule of thumb is that a bunny should eat a pile of hay his own size every day.
2. Rabbits are incredibly active, particularly youngsters, so as big an enclosure as possible is best. The cage you’ve got in mind sounds ok for a ‘base’, but he will need plenty of free range time too. It doesn’t sound like that will be a problem though!
3. I’ve never had a lop, so I don’t know. I do love how expressive ‘uppy ears’ are. I think your bunnies moods and feelings will be fairly obvious anyway though, so don’t worry that you won’t understand a lop bun.
4. I have heard of filing bunny claws, but I think it might actually be more stressful for the rabbit being held still for longer. On the other hand if you have a slob-rabbit I should imagine it’d be fine – certainly worth a try if you’d be more comfortable with that.
5. Car journeys are very stressful for your bun, but there are ways of minimising this. Keeping the carrier covered with a blanket can help him to feel calm. Also, line the carrier with vetbed or an old towel, to stop him slipping around too much – they have more grip than those mattress things that come with them. An icepod or chinchilla block is also a good idea on a hot day, although make sure he can move away from it if he wants to. As it will be such a long journey, it would be better for him if you could stop half way and let him have a leg stretch in the boot. This would give him an opportunity to use his littertray too.
6. Cats and dogs can bond with rabbits fine, if you take some time introducing them carefully. They should never under any circumstances be left alone together though. It’s just not worth the risk.

When it comes to choosing your bun, it would be lovely if you could consider adopting one from a rescue centre. There are so many unwanted bunnies out there, desperate for a loving home. A rescue rabbit will also be neutered and vaccinated already, which will save you money and hassle. If you choose to adopt one you’ll be able to ‘get to know’ him first, and make sure that your personalities are compatible. You never really know with a petshop or breeders bun what they’ll turn out like in the long run.

It sounds like you’ll be great bunny owners anyway! Welcome to RU. :wave:

I was mainly thinking about a rescue bunny :) I hate seeing animals in shelters, it breaks my heart to think anyone could give up any animal :( The only animals I've had that weren't rescued were my two cats (Mog r.i.p, and Ollie) who were the result of an accidental litter.

I'm doing neuroscience, we have a few labs but I'm only in 2-3 hours a day and Charlie is at home when I'm at uni. We don't do much lab work because brains are hard to come by without sounding like a zombie haha!

I would like to get two but I think my boyfriend is more keen on one, he doesn't want one of them to feel more or less loved than the other which is sweet.
If I had my way I'd live in a menagerie!

Thank you for your reply, it's been super helpful :) xo

They will love each other though. I tend to find if I stroke one the other will come over anyway.

:D You guys have been really helpful, thank you so much :D

There are 3 or 4 service stations on the way to my house from Bristol and I was thinking that stopping once or twice to offer the bunny some water (I hear they don't drink when they're on the move) would be a good plan; I can't do the hour without at least a pint of water so I don't see how a bunny could either.

I think I'll get the vet to show me how first time, do you think they'd show me how to do one foot then let me try another foot just to let me know if I'm doing anything wrong?

Also, the drops that some places put in rabbits' water to keep their tummies happy: yay or nay? Would they be useful when travelling?

How often should a litter pan be emptied? My cat hasn't used a tray since he was a kitten so I really haven't a clue haha.

Also, do you guys have any tried and tested methods of litter training? I've read a lot about different methods but I'd like to hear which ones have actually worked :)

I was mainly thinking about a rescue bunny :) I hate seeing animals in shelters, it breaks my heart to think anyone could give up any animal :( The only animals I've had that weren't rescued were my two cats (Mog r.i.p, and Ollie) who were the result of an accidental litter.

I'm doing neuroscience, we have a few labs but I'm only in 2-3 hours a day and Charlie is at home when I'm at uni. We don't do much lab work because brains are hard to come by without sounding like a zombie haha!

I would like to get two but I think my boyfriend is more keen on one, he doesn't want one of them to feel more or less loved than the other which is sweet.
If I had my way I'd live in a menagerie!

Thank you for your reply, it's been super helpful :) xo

Neuroscience?! Impressive! :lol::lol: at the brains. I was in lectures/labs most days but luckily my OH was an archeologist who had 2 hours of lectures a week or something stupid like that :roll:

It's great that you're looking at rescues though :thumb: If you only want one bun, maybe look for one that doesn't like the company of other rabbits? I only have Oscar at the moment, but I do worry he is lonely sometimes...

Nothing to add to your original post as you've had some fab answers, but I would definitely go for two if you can persuade your boyfriend!

I just love watching mine interact - I could watch them snuggling up/grooming each other/trying to eat the same piece of hay for hours and I can't imagine either of them on their own.

Oh - also ours travel just over an hour when we take them to board - they hate it, but settle down/forgive us pretty quickly (they're easily bribed with Fenugreek crunchies).

How often should a litter pan be emptied? My cat hasn't used a tray since he was a kitten so I really haven't a clue haha.

Also, do you guys have any tried and tested methods of litter training? I've read a lot about different methods but I'd like to hear which ones have actually worked :)

Keep hay just to where you want them to toilet. Then refresh it at least twice a day.

I empty my litter trays every 2-3 days, some members do it daily. Every 2-3 days works for me cos I use large trays (underbed storage boxes), use two trays for one of my pairs and use megazorb for the other pair.

:D You guys have been really helpful, thank you so much :D

There are 3 or 4 service stations on the way to my house from Bristol and I was thinking that stopping once or twice to offer the bunny some water (I hear they don't drink when they're on the move) would be a good plan; I can't do the hour without at least a pint of water so I don't see how a bunny could either.

I think I'll get the vet to show me how first time, do you think they'd show me how to do one foot then let me try another foot just to let me know if I'm doing anything wrong?

Also, the drops that some places put in rabbits' water to keep their tummies happy: yay or nay? Would they be useful when travelling?

Again with regards to travelling, Oscar fell asleep in his carrier both times, but wouldn't drink when I offered... I've never put drops in his water though.

That's a great idea asking your vet, if your not sure if your vet is good with rabbits post on here, and someone will hopefully recommend you a good rabbit savvy vet in your area.

Litter tray, preferably every day or every other day. I just put litter trays where Oscar went to the toilet, and moved the soiled bedding in there too, he soon got the idea (we do have 3 litter trays around the house though!)

Again with regards to travelling, Oscar fell asleep in his carrier both times, but wouldn't drink when I offered... I've never put drops in his water though.

That's a great idea asking your vet, if your not sure if your vet is good with rabbits post on here, and someone will hopefully recommend you a good rabbit savvy vet in your area.

Litter tray, preferably every day or every other day. I just put litter trays where Oscar went to the toilet, and moved the soiled bedding in there too, he soon got the idea (we do have 3 litter trays around the house though!)

Haha, I remember one thing from my cat's kitten days: you can never have too many litter trays!

Hi :)
Only thing I have to add is about cats and dogs!
One of my cats loves the rabbits, and would cuddle them if they'd let him :lol: One isn't bothered and one doesn't like them so keeps her distance.
My uncle has two dogs and they've met Charlie through the bars of his cage. I'd never let them out with the dogs, but they aren't bothered by each other being there :)

Apart from that... I agree with everyone else!
I got my girly bun from a rescue (honeybunnys) on the 7th of this month and she is absolutly amazing, and seeing the bond between two rabbits when they groom each other.... It makes my heart melt :love:

Hi and welcome :wave:

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but as a student, I was always desperately poor! Rabbits turn out as expensive as a dog or cat, and the vet fees end up higher, as they have 3 vaccs a year, plus wormer. Will you insure or do you have spare funds in case of illness? Vet fees can be horrendous.

You've had some great answers so i won't babble on, but my vets showed me how to do their nails and let me do some whilst I was there - although to be honest, I reckon I might just get the vets to do it when I take them for vaccinations because they don't like it very much!

My two are lops and you can definitely see a change in ear positions when different things are going on.

Also wanted to put in a thumbs up for getting a pair - cannot imagine having only one. If you visit your local rescue though you'll be able to see bonded pairs and buns that have to be rehomed as singles and see who you fall in love with first!

Welcome to RU - there's some amazing advice on here :wave:

Hi and welcome :wave:

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but as a student, I was always desperately poor! Rabbits turn out as expensive as a dog or cat, and the vet fees end up higher, as they have 3 vaccs a year, plus wormer. Will you insure or do you have spare funds in case of illness? Vet fees can be horrendous.

We're going to get insurance and have worked out the expenses including surprise fees etc. Over the summer I'll have a job working at home that pays pretty well so I'll put most of that aside to help with surprise costs too :)
xx

We're going to get insurance and have worked out the expenses including surprise fees etc. Over the summer I'll have a job working at home that pays pretty well so I'll put most of that aside to help with surprise costs too :)
xx

Cool :) You really have thought of everything :thumb:

We spent a good 6 months planning and deciding if we should and could have a bun, surprises still come along, but the better organised you are the less they should be :)

If you're having a housebun then you need to do some hardcore bunny proofing too, every single accessible wire needs to be covered, we went through three home phones and goodness knows what else before we nailed the bunny-proofing :lol:

Cool :) You really have thought of everything :thumb:

We spent a good 6 months planning and deciding if we should and could have a bun, surprises still come along, but the better organised you are the less they should be :)

If you're having a housebun then you need to do some hardcore bunny proofing too, every single accessible wire needs to be covered, we went through three home phones and goodness knows what else before we nailed the bunny-proofing :lol:

Haha! Yes, I've seen a lot of pictures of very mischievous looking bunnies next to chewed up wires!

I've been looking into it and there's this spirally stuff you can get, is that any good?
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...rtNumber=032720&Trail=searchtext>CABLE+TIDIES

x

I trim my bunnies nails (and my ferrets).
The length of the fur should be the length of the nail, so i just nip off the end.If there is any blood (EEK...there isnt with just the end nipping) dip the nail in flour!! It stops!!
Failing that get your vet to do it.
Youve done loads of research.Now go get your bun!!!!!
Welcome to the forum!!xxxxx

Back