• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you use Rabbit insurance or savings? U/D post 15

Vet bills. How do you pay/

• Rabbit insurance.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Save a set amount each week or month.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Pay for it as and when a bill arises.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Credit cards.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
I like to plan for the future and have no surprises especially financially. I was just wondering whether you all take out insurance for your rabbits, put aside a amount each week or month for bills and vaccinations, nail and teeth trimming etc or just pay as and when a problem or medical bill comes up.

If you do save a amount per week or month how much do you put aside per Rabbit?

Last edited:
Both :oops:

Petplan wont pay out for Ginger's RTI and other issues due to me claiming right at the end of the exclusion period :roll:

So i pay out for her from my money.

Biscuit is insured, and is fortunately very healthy so i've not had to claim.

Paid for vaccs from pay.

Insurance for 5 of them and pay as they arise for the one that cant be insured (too old when we adopted him). I'm waiting to hear if we will be able to claim for Muesli as we also took him to the vets right at the end of the exclusion period. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4 of our 6 bunnies have had significant vet bills at some point in the last 6 months since we took out the insurance so I am so glad we did. And the good thing is that if we keep up the insurance we can have them insured for life, whereas if they are over 5 you cant take out new insurance for them.

I pay for it as it comes... Emergancy would be paid for out of OHs money and I'd pay him back :)

Both... two are with Petplan, but one isn't insured.

However, if I had two Giant's I would definately get them insured ;)

I only have George and Gemma insured. With nine cats (three elderly) and eight bunnies the monthly premium for insurance was astronomical.

When I was working three jobs I managed to pay vet bills out of my overdraft facility but since my health deteriorated and I had to give up one job I don't earn enough to pay my usual outgoings, let alone vet bills.

With Molly's recent illness the vet bill has been about £600 so far. I have borrowed some money from a friend and the rest has gone on overdraft - which will mean I am unable to meet my direct debits this month.

I am intending to sell the house later in the year when I have de-cluttered it but until then I am really struggling financially. I do try and put something away each month towards vet bills but it is never anywhere near enough.

I haven't voted as you don't have a 'borrow from friends and go overdrawn' choice:oops:

I've got insurance but bunny got ill within the first 2 weeks so insurance won't cover his current ongoing illness and vet bills!

Both mine are insured but Pie is not covered for any type of Bloat or Stasis (which she has almost constantly! :roll:)

But previously OH was paying for it all (including a £400 vet bill last week! :shock: :oops:)

I have not insured because when I added up the cost of the premiums, excesses, things which are not covered and all the little things you go for which wouldn't be worth claiming I felt it was more cost effective to 'pay as I go'.

I actually do both.

I have one bun that I can't insure because he came to me with teeth problems and an eye problem. I save £20 every month for him and was jolly glad I had when he cost over £250 last month for an eye ulcer.

The other rabbit was once one of a pair and has been insured since I got him.

I would recommend people with a rabbit with a clear medical history to get insurance now. If you wait until you have a health problem and then decide to insure, that pre-existing condition is exempted and that may be the problem that continually costs the money. Also some policies offer cover 'for life' which is really helpful if the condition is long-lasting.

Thank you all. Think i will go for the insurance but when i do pet plan continental isnt on there so do i put mixed breed or a british giant ???? :?

Up until this year we always said we'd pay as and when needed, but and episode of stasis with Juno has cost us £270 to date and she isn't quite better yet so may need more treatment.

With an emergency trip with Verity in January costing us £108, we are now looking into insuring them!!!

We save each month we put £20 per bun away, and pay with left overs for vet bills. example, jabs we pay out of our money but still save that way we have an emergency fund for if we dont have the money one time.

Back