• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinating

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
ive kept rabbits for years before RU.

ive never vaccinated a rabbit before. None of my rabbits have ever had myxi or vhd. ive never heard of it in my area.
I dont have the money to vaccinate at the moment really.

should i vaccinate them?

they are outside bunny btw.

I would if you could, especially since they are outdoors, I didn't want to take the risk with Oscar that he might get ill because I decided to risk it and not vaccinate...

Maybe try to put aside a little bit of money each week, you'll soon have enough :wave:

ive kept rabbits for years before RU.

ive never vaccinated a rabbit before. None of my rabbits have ever had myxi or vhd. ive never heard of it in my area.
I dont have the money to vaccinate at the moment really.

should i vaccinate them?

they are outside bunny btw.

I think the majority of people on here would say yes to vaccinating! Mine are indoors and are still vaccinated, I would never take the risk not to as I would never be able to forgive myself if they died a horrible death that I might have been able to prevent!

Yes. Unless there is a medical reason not to. Previous pets not having got a disease is good luck, not proof your current ones won't either.

Defiantly, Heather got myxi even though she was vaccinated ..and now has scars and ruptured (sp?)tear ducts from it. It is a horrible horrible disease, you really really don't want to see your buns go through it :cry:

Do you really want to wait until one of your buns actaully gets myxi before you vaccinate?

My rabbits were never vaccinated years ago as I didn't even know they needed to be.

Since finding out though, I always vaccinate.

around £30 for myxi and vhd together

myxi must be done every 6 months, vhd every year

i thought it wasn't necessary so didn't get snowball done at first, but i'm glad i did, it's piece of mind :):wave:

(well, he's not had vhd yet, but he had his myxi)

It works out about £10 a month- less than £2.50 a week, which isn't too bad if you think about it, and a lot less than you would pay if they got Myxi :?

That is true, if they got Myxomatosis, when unvaccinated, your vet would probably advise immediate PTS which, for 2 rabbits, would cost more than the vaccinations.

Could you ask for money at Christmas and your Birthday to cover these costs?

Back