• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ready to bond?

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
Hi guys!

Thornton was neutered on 7th Feb and I was wondering if it would be OK to start bonding him with Cadbury and Minstrel next week which will be four weeks.

I have some time off (as does hubby), so after a long weekend away I have about 5 days if I start on Weds 6th. Do you think it's worth a go or is it still a tad early?

He's definately not chinning as much - mainly just my fingers if I've been handling the others, but they've gotten used to seeing each other in the garden. Thornton normally has a major binky session when I bring the others out and if it's warm and sunny has started flopping in the corner of the run that's as close as possible to the other run. Cadbury also is a lot more chilled and hardly spends any time at all staring out Thornton. Minstrel has never been bothered by Thornton's presence.

Eeeek I'm so excited and scared all at the same time!

Last edited:
i thought ( but not sure?) they could be fertile for up to 6 weeks after neuter?
I hope someone more experienced can come on here to advise.
sue:wave:

angus has the op on the 11th my vet said cos ebony already had the op they can bond as soon as he's recovered

I'd personally wait 6-8 weeks post neuter before bonding. Hormones can take a long time to get out of the system.

You'd hate for a hormonal fight - as that would be detrimental to the chances of them bonding in the future.

Thank you Graham L and those of you who took the trouble to reply. :wave:

I guess I'll wait, but it could be another six weeks before I get enough time off to bond :( I hate seeing him on his own

5th April is 8 weeks after the 7th Feb :D

Did you mean 7th March when Thornton was neutered?

I wouldn't take the chinning as a guide to whether Thornton is ready or not - all six of my buns still chin anything and everything.

You know your buns best but I must admit that I would be tempted to try to bond them if I had the time off. I bonded BJ with Rosie about 10 days after his neuter, though obviously that was potentially easier than you bonding into an established pair.

Don't forget though that bunsters have spring in their blood at this time of the year which may lead to high jinks during bonding.

Good luck with the bonding :D

Yes you're right, it would have been March :oops:

We have decided to hold off on the bonding for now, however they did all meet through the mesh yesterday when we let Thornton free range. Cadbury and Thornton chased each other up and down a bit, but surprisingly it was Cadbury who freaked out the most and tried to have a bit of a go :? (even though he didn't do this previously when they met before Thornton's neuter). Thornton didn't react so maybe this is a good sign he'll be submissive to Cadbury. Minstrel was completely non-plussed except to give Cadbury a dirty look for charging about while she was trying to snooze in the sun.

Thanks again :wave:

Back