• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how old is too old for castration?

cd02

Young Bun
Hi.

Pancakes will be 2 this June and I was wondering if that’s too old to get him castrated?

He’s become very “hump happy” over the last couple of months and we’ve decided we need to get something done but don’t want to put him through the op etc if he’s too old now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 isn't old !!

As Graham says, if Pancakes is healthy then there is no reason why he cant be done. The oldest Bun I have had castrated was 7-8 :)

Thanks for the replies both. Just didn't want to phone the vet without looking into it first.

As much as I think its the best thing for all, I just feel bad not letting him mate first lol

Thanks for the replies both. Just didn't want to phone the vet without looking into it first.

As much as I think its the best thing for all, I just feel bad not letting him mate first lol

Dont feel bad. Breeding isn't worth it - it wont benefit him, it wont benefit a doe. There are already over 33,000 unwanted rabbits in rescues right now. Dont add to it :)

Just have it done, best thing for all involved :wave:

Why do you feel bad?

He won't have any hppy memories of doing it or anything. Its not going to stay with him and won't affect him in any way, either way, if he does or doesn't. Its not a pelasure for them, its a 'duty' and something their hormones force them to do, nothing more, nothing less. By neutering him you're allowing him to be himself and you're giving the freedom to be himself and enjoy life, as opposed to living life like a hormone driven rabbit. Once he is neutered you can get to know your bunny for himself and what he is really like :)

Bramble was nutered last week, and he is four years old. I am looking forward to being able to get him a girlie now :love:

Back