• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can have caused Bobby to stop eating??

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
She stopped on Friday, and thank goodness I had booked the day off as hol.

I got her to eat half a dandelion then rushed to to the vet.

The vet told me off because SHE couldn't handle her, she was very feisty.

She said I should interact with the more:shock: Bobby hates being picked up, and I never have much need to as she comes when i call, and I bum check pretty quickly.

the vet gave her an antibiotic just in case, gut stimulant and pain relief which got her eating when she got home.

i am stressing myself out worrying whether it will happen again, luckily we caught it really quickly

:( Poor Bobby.

So thankful you were at home Shelly!

Is she nomming happily on her own again now?

Thing with not eating is that it has so many causes.

Ginger does it when she's drunk too much and is over-hydrated in her gut.

Teeth, eaten something bad, pain from somewhere else.

Sorry, thats not much use is it :(

ETA: ignore the rubbish from your vet about holding her. Biscuit wont be held at all, our vet has come to accept that we have to do things together if we need to look at him.

:( Poor Bobby.

So thankful you were at home Shelly!

Is she nomming happily on her own again now?

Thing with not eating is that it has so many causes.

Ginger does it when she's drunk too much and is over-hydrated in her gut.

Teeth, eaten something bad, pain from somewhere else.

Sorry, thats not much use is it :(

ETA: ignore the rubbish from your vet about holding her. Biscuit wont be held at all, our vet has come to accept that we have to do things together if we need to look at him.

Checked her teeth and they were fine, the vet said it could have been gas, but her tummy didn't feel too bloated.

I spent three hours chasing her round ith food and trying to do tummy rubs. the vet said that maybe she had gotten over the worse of it.

I didn't have a lot of confidence with the vet, as she dropped Bobby, who then ran to Ian and jumped in his arms :love:

Yeah she is eating now, I had to force feed some critical care for most of Friday. And then give her this syprp stuff, hydro something.

The vet told me off because SHE couldn't handle her, she was very feisty.

She said I should interact with the more:shock: Bobby hates being picked up, and I never have much need to as she comes when i call, and I bum check pretty quickly.

the vet gave her an antibiotic just in case, gut stimulant and pain relief which got her eating when she got home.

i am stressing myself out worrying whether it will happen again, luckily we caught it really quickly

Silly vet, she just doesn't like being handled!! :roll: Bobby's clearly happy in her rabbitiness and as long as you can check her for health issues, surely there's no problem! Silly vet should be calmer in the face of a scared and fidgety bun. :roll:

I'm sure she was just having an 'off' day (too much partying?) and that she'll be back to munching everything in sight before you know it. I'd just stock up on her favourite treats so you can keep tempting her.

Sending nomming vibes to lovely Princess Bobby.

:wave:

Silly vet, she just doesn't like being handled!! :roll: Bobby's clearly happy in her rabbitiness and as long as you can check her for health issues, surely there's no problem! Silly vet should be calmer in the face of a scared and fidgety bun. :roll:

I'm sure she was just having an 'off' day (too much partying?) and that she'll be back to munching everything in sight before you know it. I'd just stock up on her favourite treats so you can keep tempting her.

Sending nomming vibes to lovely Princess Bobby.

She has had every thing her little bunny heart desired:love: She did this this time last year, wonder if it's the moult

The vet told me off because SHE couldn't handle her, she was very feisty.She said I should interact with the more:shock: Bobby hates being picked up, and I never have much need to as she comes when i call, and I bum check pretty quickly.

:shock: I think I'd ask around for other vet recommendations! You'd really expect a vet to know and appreciate that most buns don't like being picked up and being at the vets is a stressful thing for most and so this sort of behaviour is to be expected. Smacks of inexperience :roll:

:shock: I think I'd ask around for other vet recommendations! You'd really expect a vet to know and appreciate that most buns don't like being picked up and being at the vets is a stressful thing for most and so this sort of behaviour is to be expected. Smacks of inexperience :roll:

I know, she was very red in the face and you could tell she was uncomfortable, carlo also growled at her, he was really protective of Bobby bless him.

I have had this lady before and she couldn't clip Bobby's nails :evil: The other vets there have all been great though.

oh just ignore the vet :roll: Harvey is the most placid bunny ever with people he knows, he licks them and will just lie in their arms, but at the vet he is a rabbit possessed and will run away from the vet and jump into my arms. He hates the vets and hates strangers, lots of bunnies do.

Sending lots of nomming vibes, it could be her moult that's stopped her eating :wave:

oh just ignore the vet :roll: Harvey is the most placid bunny ever with people he knows, he licks them and will just lie in their arms, but at the vet he is a rabbit possessed and will run away from the vet and jump into my arms. He hates the vets and hates strangers, lots of bunnies do.

Sending lots of nomming vibes, it could be her moult that's stopped her eating :wave:

She was terrified, as I was, I cracked my tooth grinding my teeth:oops:

She is so much better now, and funnily enough she is a lot friendlier, she won't leave me alone, broke my heart leaving her for work today:cry:

Is there anything that i can give Bobby to prevent Bobby getting this again due to Moult??

i wonder if it might be worth keeping some fibreplex or something in perhaps, but the problem is, you'd need to know it wasn't an obstruction before giving meds etc.

i wonder if it might be worth keeping some fibreplex or something in perhaps, but the problem is, you'd need to know it wasn't an obstruction before giving meds etc.

Yeah, I'm just making sure they are both groomed with in an inch of their lives.

I have som emeds left anyway, and some critical care. I just Hope it doesn't happen again, I was a mess this weekend, I love her so much, My Bobby

if it is due to moulting I think pineapple juice is meant to be good :wave:

Its often said NOT to feed pineapple juice, as it contains a massive amount of sugar, which can actually be detrimental to the situation.

Fluids, and lots of them are the best thing i believe.

Its often said NOT to feed pineapple juice, as it contains a massive amount of sugar, which can actually be detrimental to the situation.

Okay, well she is drinking now, and have been syringing water, she likes ripping the syringe from my hands and throwing it at Carlo:lol:

I've posted on your other thread shellypops.
Absolute agreement with Graham here.
Moulting is a huge STRESS for a bunny. They have to increase their energy intake by 40% to moult. If the gut is a bit slow they'll cut back on fiber (which slows it more) or drink, to eat higher nutrients.
Fresh weeds/herbs help both the fiber nutrient & fluid issues avoiding the high starches in human foods.

Many short episodes of stasis lke bobby's just had are thought to be caused by a partial block on thick dehydrated food in the gut (more difficult to push through) but not thick enough to block the gut completely.

I agree totally with Graham about the sugar content in pineapple. the active component is bromelaine which can be obained in tablet form & ground up from good health food stores.;)
;)

There are these Treat Um things too. I assume they use the active ingredient and not the sugar? I tried them in the past and I'm thinking of trying them again. You're only supposed to give one a week but Smudge didn't go into stasis when I gave them so I might get some more.

Back