• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matilda has just had babies :/ please help!!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Woke up this morning and there was a huge nest in tildas cage and fur everywhere!!!!!! so distracted Matilda with food, and took some pics and there are babies in there!!!!! I didnt even no she was pregnant, or that shes even mated :/

I didnt mess with the nest or anything cos I no some animals kill them if you mess with them, duno if rabbits are one of these :/

190083_1974344836923_1192116864_2424167_343690_n.jpg

190425_1974348837023_1192116864_2424178_4002544_n.jpg

what do I do now :/

Matilda is asleep on my floor as we speak, should she be in the nest with the babies tho :/ or do they leave them :/

I am in total shock! I duno what to do with baby rabbits :/:cry:

she will leave the babies for a while babies are only fed 2xs a day :)
erm congratulations
hasnt matilda been with you a while?

o will the babies not get cold?

and yhh! she must of mated whilst here:?! Smartie is living down stairs, Ive never seen him come upstairs :/ but he must have cos the other males are outside !

I am really abit shocked and confussed right now :/ :cry:

she will generally ignore them unless she is feeding them, so don't worry if she does. You won't see her feed so you need to check them after 24 hours to see if they have been fed. They will look like they swallowed pingpong balls if they have.

You also need to check the nest for any stray placentas (these should be eaten but not all mum's do), and any dead babies. Make sure your hands smell of nothing strong (no other animals, no washing products, etc) and stroke all over mum, give mum something yummy and have a quick rummage in the nest.

Once you know she is feeding them and you know how she is then you're likely to be able to hold them, but at the very least you need to check them twice a day.

I'd suggeest moving whoeever may have gotten her pregnant to somewhere completely separate.

Also, if you're worried about them being cold then you can heat a snuggle safe and stick it to the roof of the floor below, under the nes (i.e. not in the cage/hutch/area with the babies).

Mum needs a fairly fast, but no instant, increase in food so that she is eating unlimited food. She will need unlimited food as long as mum is feeding the babies so that she can produce milk for them. Also keep shoving in the hay.

I don't know where the nest is, but if mum nrmally has a water bowl, make sure its as far away from the nest as possible.

Do you have an un-neutered male?

I cant help with kits, I dont know much about them.

theres not alot you can do the babies should be fine :) mine where born outdoors and mum sat well away from the babies.
get dad kept well away from her or she will be pregnant again.
best to get dad neutered asap.
im having hell now as i have had dad neutered and now waiting so i can get mum and babies spayed...

If you are worried about them being cold just pack the hutch full of bedding (hay/straw). My neighbours bunny had kits in early December which was the coldest part of the year. She didnt use a snugglesafe or anything and she only has a thin hutch hugger, just lots and lots of bedding, and all the babies survived!

okay I smotherd my hands/arms in tildas bedding and checked the nest only 1 baby, no mess left, got a quick pic! its warm and a nice lil pot belly! feels soo weird like its wiggling inside its skin:/ reli odd feeling! it looks more like a dog than a rabbit :/

189533_1974379357786_1192116864_2424222_5887773_n.jpg

196422_1974383237883_1192116864_2424237_4218716_n.jpg

its hugee tho!!!

Looks like Smarie is the dad!

How is she (she being mum) acting? Is she normal? Bright? Eating? drinking? Pooing? Weeing?

Having one large baby is pretty uncommon (but not unheard of) and probably means he 'got' her only once. She has another uterine horn and may have another tomorrow, although hopefully not. I would suggest putting a SnuggleSafe underneath the hutch if you can because one baby has no others to snuggle way.

Looks like Smarie is the dad!

How is she (she being mum) acting? Is she normal? Bright? Eating? drinking? Pooing? Weeing?

Having one large baby is pretty uncommon (but not unheard of) and probably means he 'got' her only once. She has another uterine horn and may have another tomorrow, although hopefully not. I would suggest putting a SnuggleSafe underneath the hutch if you can because one baby has no others to snuggle way.

mum is fine, bouncing around pooing and weeing in her tray, eating and drinking like a horse as she always does aha! jumping on the bed, getting under my feeties !

Could she of eaten others if she had more than one, if they died or something!, i no hamsters do that :/

shes in an indoor cage, on one corner gona put a hot water bottle like leaning against the cage so will heat it up, would tht work? xx

oo and yh smartie is the one inside!!

With a baby that size there wouldn't have been room for any others in that uterine horn :lol:

Yup, putting a hot water bottle near the nest but outside the cage so no rabbits can access it could offer some heat :)

Glad she is normal. That means no stuck kits or anything like that. How old is she?

With a baby that size there wouldn't have been room for any others in that uterine horn :lol:

Yup, putting a hot water bottle near the nest but outside the cage so no rabbits can access it could offer some heat :)

Glad she is normal. That means no stuck kits or anything like that. How old is she?

lol its like the size of a kitten!! dosn't look like a rabbit as all! its feet looks like a dogs paw ha!

tilda is about 6-7 months!

*goes to fill water bottle*

Thank goodness she is young- that's what enabled her to kindle that large bunny. Likely an older doe would have ended up with it being a 'pencil kit' and it would have suffocated in her tubes.

Now its just a waiting game to wait to see if she feeds it. Once she has done that you've over the next crucial hurdle.

so cute :love:
:lol: ow did you know smartie was the dad? :lol:
i know the baby has patchs but one of the other rabbits is different coloured too......:)

so cute :love:
:lol: ow did you know smartie was the dad? :lol:
i know the baby has patchs but one of the other rabbits is different coloured too......:)

Baby looks like a harlequin, and that's what Smartie is. Its possible it could be a different rabbit, but the obvious answer would be Smartie. I know vaguely about genetics of the butterflies (which are what the other two 'spotties' are), but minimal about harlequins, but you would need to have a harlequin in the genes to have a harlequin baby.

Last edited:
Thank goodness she is young- that's what enabled her to kindle that large bunny. Likely an older doe would have ended up with it being a 'pencil kit' and it would have suffocated in her tubes.

Now its just a waiting game to wait to see if she feeds it. Once she has done that you've over the next crucial hurdle.

Aww! yhh, so I don't need to do anything untill tomorrow morning, and then check if the belly is fat yea?

Back