• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home Insurance

Alicia

Mama Doe
Is anyone's rabbit insured with pets at home insurance? I can't decide whether or not to get Molly and Archie insured. They are insured with PetPlan at the moment (part of the adoption pack from the rescue) but they will only be insured for a few more weeks. I know it's a good idea, but I'm not sure whether or not to just save money in a box or something, but knowing me, I might end up spending it on toys and things for the rabbits and forgetting what it was originally for :lol: Have Pets at Home done rabbit insurance for long? I've never noticed it before so I thought it was new. If yours are insured with pets at home how good is it?

This^^^ Until they learn how to care for animals (though they probably never will do :roll:), I will NEVER help/support them apart from food or treats etc that are brands e.g. Timothy Hay. :)

But is the insurance any good? I'm going to look on google for other insurance companies and pets at home won't be my first choice but I'm just trying to work out which insurance would be best.

mine are insured but with petplan, wouldn't insure with anyone else, and not sure what PAH insurance would include etc, as most are no where near as good as petplan for rabbit insurance, is the PAH one a new thing?

But is the insurance any good? I'm going to look on google for other insurance companies and pets at home won't be my first choice but I'm just trying to work out which insurance would be best.

personally id stick to petplan :wave: although they do exclude some things such as dentals and you cannot insure bunnies over a certain age of something like 5yrs i think

mine are insured but with petplan, wouldn't insure with anyone else, and not sure what PAH insurance would include etc, as most are no where near as good as petplan for rabbit insurance, is the PAH one a new thing?

Thank you :) I might insure them with petplan, though I've looked through it all and I think I might just keep money aside at home for any vet bills.

They might not do new policies for buns over 5 but they have continued to insure my 7 yr old buns, slight excess increase but that's all.
personally id stick to petplan :wave: although they do exclude some things such as dentals and you cannot insure bunnies over a certain age of something like 5yrs i think

They might not do new policies for buns over 5 but they have continued to insure my 7 yr old buns, slight excess increase but that's all.

yeah as long as you insure before that age and continue insurance then they will :wave:

Excess is quite high and the cover limit is lower than petplan. Plus there is a low limit for any treatment related to dental problems. :?

Well mine are insured with P@H. I'm afraid my finances don't allow me to have morals! The policy is a good bit cheaper - £13.10 for two - and I'm saving up the difference between it and the petplan policy for the excess.

Thank you :) I might insure them with petplan, though I've looked through it all and I think I might just keep money aside at home for any vet bills.

Think carefully before you decide not to insure.
Two of mine are with PetPlan. They would not insure my older bunny (now sadly pts) and I'm looking at a vet bill of close to £1000.

i want to insure my bunny with Petplan but it asked for breed, and i dont have a clue about what breed he is.. all i know is that hes a Lop

any help? ill try and upload pics if i can

Alicia think carefully before rejecting the idea of insurance.

You see so many members bunnies being rushed to the vets and ones with on going problems.

I am with Pets at Home insurance as it is half the price of Petplan and Exotic pets. £78.00 something a year. £75.00 excess.

Thank god I did. Cutie-pie had to be rushed to an emergency vets 3 weeks ago. She had GI Statis and had to stay overnight. Total cost £498.00. Times like this you are so pleased you took out insurance.

I didn't have insurance for Nancy bunny. She got ill in February. Cost nearly £700.00. including her ashes. Think the vets bill was around £620.00.

My chinchilla who I wish I insured, cost us £1500.00 over a few months this year.

That is £2,200.00 gone because we did not have insurance. Not even a single operation, you are talking xrays and medication and consultations only, plus a tear duct flush.

i want to insure my bunny with Petplan but it asked for breed, and i dont have a clue about what breed he is.. all i know is that hes a Lop

any help? ill try and upload pics if i can

If he is the picture you have by your user name I think you'd be safe saying dwarf lop.

Two of my lop rabbits are actually down as mixed breed as they have one uppy-eared parent and one lop parent, though they are medium/large lops so I'd most probably be okay saying dwarf lop too.

---------------
For anybody who can't afford the monthly premiums for insurance this is what Artie has cost me this year:

Ongoing treatment for bladder sludge - £18 per bladder expressing every six weeks = £144 a year
Daily metacam and frusimide - approx £10 a month = £120 a year

Removal of kidney stones = £844
Removal of kidney = £600

Stasis episode (gut related) = £200
Stasis episode, after 11pm (bladder sludge related) + bladder flush treatment = £250

Total = £2158 approx. Pet Plan insurance would have been about £120 a year, there would have been 3 excesses to pay as 3 conditions, but I would have got £2000 back on insurance claims, if I'd had him insured with them. By a stroke of luck I insured with Pets at Home (about £65, annual policy) just before his kidney trouble so I got £1k back in insurance claims but he's still cost over £1k this year and won't be insured for any of the above after May. He appeared perfectly healthy until just over 4 years old. .... it's worth thinking about if £10 a month seems a lot to pay for insurance.

Back