• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For Rabbit Rescues mainly

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Hey,
I was wondering the costs for a newly arrived bunny.
If you receive a rabbit who isn't neutered/spayed vaccinated, and you arrange a trip to the vets to get the above done, it would roughly cost
-£20 for each vaccination x2 =£40
-£50 neuter
-*!£90 for one rabbit!*
If you receive a pair it would be double the cost for one rabbit!
Some rescues receive loads more due to over breeding. thats 90+90+90+90+90+90+90............................
And something else I thought about:
When people give rabbits to you, you should ask the person for a donation of money to take care of that rabbit(per), a donation of their existing food, food bowls, water bottles, hutches, runs. As they wont be needing them.
If the hutches are too small they could be used as hiding houses.
They would have to throw these things away if they didn't donate to you.
Or they could sell them :roll::cry:
If you have too many hutches/runs you could sell them cheap to people that adopt from your rescue.
P.s/Its up to you how you would like to run your rescue, I was just trying to point some things out that could help your rescue.

We take all hutches where possible, and smash them up, as none have ever been suitable for animals. This is also to prevent people re filling them with "new" animals after dumping the older ones on us.

It is surprising the amount of people who have "forgotten" their wallet when dropping off a rabbit.

We take all hutches where possible, and smash them up, as none have ever been suitable for animals. This is also to prevent people re filling them with "new" animals after dumping the older ones on us.

It is surprising the amount of people who have "forgotten" their wallet when dropping off a rabbit.

^^^^this

Very occasionally someone will surprise you and give a donation, but unfortunately its more likely they have left the house with no money:roll:

I know we aren't a rescue but a sanctuary so a bit different. But when we take a bunny from a private individual each bunny costs us on average £300 plus there will be on going costs for the rest of its life. We have only twice in 4 years ever been given a donation when a bunny arrives and of course we have no rehoming donations.

Ok you have just reminded me of reality :(
You shouldn't ask for money as a donation, but as a compulsory fee, for their rabbit to be admitted into your care.
£20 sounds ok.
Without the £20 for their rabbit's care, you shouldn't take the rabbit in, this makes you look stronger.
You should make clear of the price to re home the rabbit clear when he/she contacts you.
Or what I've said above still can be disobeyed by ignorant owners? :(

We take all hutches offered. Most are smashed up but a few of the better ones are retained for hedgehogs to overwinter in.
We ask a donation of any amount to help towards vet cost.... sometimes it's £50.... sometimes it's nothing.
We also ask for a donation when someone adopts a rabbit. Donations rarely cover anything like the costs. However, our main priority is getting a first-class home for them.
Spay/castrate and fully vaccinate costs us in the region of £65 with our vet discount. However, we always get their teeth checked while they are being neutered, and the costs of a dental are .... well, Im sure you know. :roll:

You shouldn't ask for money as a donation, but as a compulsory fee, for their rabbit to be admitted into your care.
£20 sounds ok.
Without the £20 for their rabbit's care, you shouldn't take the rabbit in, this makes you look stronger.
You should make clear of the price to re home the rabbit clear when he/she contacts you.

But if you do that and the owner refuses what happens to bunny then?

I think anyone who runs a rescue is a strong person regardless of whether they demand a fee to take a bunny. The situations people have to deal with are often very distressing and frustrating and unless you have done it you honestly have no idea what its like :(

£20 sounds ok.
Or what I've said above still can be disobeyed by ignorant owners
? :(

What about if someone is genuinely broke? Or you're just desperate for the rabbit because it is such high risk? Or the people may jut release it into the wild or give it for snake food because thats cheaper and easier?

There is no win in this situation for the rescue, sadly. Just the rabbit :D

£20 sounds ok.

But quite often the rabbit desperately needs to be taken into rescue, and at the end of the day rescues work for the animals, not for the selfish owners.
Lou took a call last week from a guy threatening to put his rabbit "in the pot"
No doubt he would have laughed his ass off if we told him he had to give x amount for the rabbit to come in.

People can be very unkind to both their unwanted pets, and to the people working voluntarily in rescue.

:shock:
Ok, there's nothing really you can do if they refuse to pay the fee, and its better to take the rabbit without a fee rather the owners releasing them into the wild.

If there is no compulsory fee then just ask for a donation, don't expect them to remember from your site or anything.
And it's up to them if they want to donate or not, If they are capable to donate they should, if they aren't capable to donate then its best they are re homing their rabbit to a rescue.

There should be a certificate when you get your pet from either a pet shop or rescue, which should go to the government, and they should make it their responsibility to check on the animal's welfare, if the animal has to be taken away then the owner shouldn't be allowed another pet until they can provide everything the animal needs.

:shock:
If there is no compulsory fee then just ask for a donation, don't expect them to remember from your site or anything.
And it's up to them if they want to donate or not, If they are capable to donate they should, if they aren't capable to donate then its best they are re homing their rabbit to a rescue.

No offence, but I reckon rescues have already thought of this ;)

If you have too many hutches/runs you could sell them cheap to people that adopt from your rescue.

It is rare that a hutch comes in and is in a decent condition and more importantly an appropriate size, most end up being smashed up to stop them being used by other rabbits. Whist you get them out of circulation it then requires the foster home or the rescue money to take the smashed up hutches to the dump.

There should be a certificate when you get your pet from either a pet shop or rescue, which should go to the government, and they should make it their responsibility to check on the animal's welfare, if the animal has to be taken away then the owner shouldn't be allowed another pet until they can provide everything the animal needs.

And who would police this? Government funding and resources are stretched as it is. Unfortunately, rabbits and the dire situation of overstretched rescues isn't a priority.

Respectfully, whitehood, rescues arent a new thing and i am sure they've thought well and hard about how to get people to donate - especially those who add to the rescue problem. It's not as easy as demanding money from the 'dumpers' when the welfare of the rabbit is paramount. I'm sure rescues have seen it all and ultimately, they are 'rescuing' - not doing the person a favour - meaning that if people no longer care for their rabbit, they certainly arent going to want to give money to help it.

:)

I do admire the fact that you are thinking about how to help and what can be done to bring in money to the rescues - but i'm sure it's been thought of by those who deal with this problem on a daily basis. x

This has happened to me a couple of times a lady came for a rabbit and has previously had them before I told her what the rehoming fee is and she said the vet has an offer on. I was like well you can take a unneutered and then neuter yourself, she gave me the money and I was chatting away to her and when I double checcked the amount she had given me what the vet was asking for neuter so she gave me £15 less than I charge. People are really hard faced most of the time

Back