• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can all rabbits be litter trained?

Dot

Warren Scout
I've just moved a couple of the outdoor rabbits to indoors and their litter training, which was never the best, has totally gone. They currently have 2 litter trays that take up about 3/4 of their cage space, on the basis of not giving them too much room outside of litter trays until they've sussed it. So one of them is absolutely intent on pooing on the other litter tray free 1/4 :roll: If I move the litter tray, that's fine, they'll just move where they poo :roll:

Is it actually do-able to litter train them, or should I just resign myself to lots of cleaning?

It might take them a while to settle and choose a new pooing location. Not all rabbits can be litter trained properly, especially with male rabbits, they enjoy being naughty too much.

I agree let them settle. My bun used to have to have 7 litter trays when I first got him (although he was unneutered) and pooed all over the floor still, within a month I had it down to 3, now its 2 and one is only used occasionally. He still poops outside the trays in his base though, but thats my fault for putting a hay rack not above the tray.

I found putting hay only in the one you want them to use helps.

eta- I think there are quite a few bunnies that cannot be trained properly with poops, just wee. I know my boy will never be perfect with it, but at the end of the day it only takes a minute to clean up poops before going to bed.

Last edited:
Ive had my bun for 5 days now,

2 days ago i popped a litter tray into her cage as i noticed that she was pooing etc in one side of her age, i popped some poops into her litter tray and she started using it straight away!

ive no idea how its worked so well, shes a v clever bun i think :D

Ive had my bun for 5 days now,

2 days ago i popped a litter tray into her cage as i noticed that she was pooing etc in one side of her age, i popped some poops into her litter tray and she started using it straight away!

ive no idea how its worked so well, shes a v clever bun i think :D

Exactly how my Biscuit learnt :)

Ginger on the other hand, is so so, but does the occasional wee and quite a lot of poops outside of the tray :)

Three out of four of my bunnies use a litter tray. Twinkle who is four, has never managed to work out what a litter tray is for :lol::lol::lol:

My male bun Rodge is the tidiest bun Ive ever met, Im sure he has his own dustpan & brush hidden in his hutch somewhere! :lol:

Orla my female bun is a terror, she poops everywhere!

Poor Rodge must be at his wits end! :lol:

Back