• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses

Trixielover

Mama Doe
Do you have any suggestions? Obviously has to be safe. I know not all of you like harnesses and if you don't, then you don't need to post. If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't anything at all. :)

I'm not a fan of them but I know people use them
Not criticism but a bit of advice
Don't be tempted to take your bun out of your garden on a harness
Two reasons, one a dog can run up very unexpectedly and kill bun
and two...the pavements and grass areas outside are full of possible germs, dangers and diseases

Do you have any suggestions? Obviously has to be safe. I know not all of you like harnesses and if you don't, then you don't need to post. If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't anything at all. :)

i got one of the H harnesses from pets at home.
I use an extendable dog lead with it to give snowball more room to move and so i don't have to run after him lol. i wouldn't recommend using the lead that comes with one, FAR too short!

each and every time i use it, i adjust it and make sure it is on properly and is tight enough and he can't escape.

i make sure that there is no way he can break his back by being pulled to a stop if he got scared and tried to bolt by ensuring that the lead is always loose and able to extend while he is on it.

if you have a wriggly bun who likes to escape, i wouldn't advise using a lead.
i use one with snowball because he is as soft as anything and so laid back he'd never try to escape. and if he DID manage to get out, i know he would come to me the second i called.

would also advise keeping favourite treats in the pocket if you are using the lead to tempt them back if an escape did happen.

care should be taken every time you use it to make sure that they can't escape :wave:

I was thinking of getting a harness for charlie RIP but then if he wouldn't move I would have to pull the harness string. I thought pulling his entire body could hurt him. I didn't buy iy.
Its up to you if you want to buy or not.
If people can't disagree with you as you've told them not to post, then all your replies are going to be yes go for it.
So you can't really get advice from other RU members.
So go for what you believe. :D

I was thinking of getting a harness for charlie RIP but then if he wouldn't move I would have to pull the harness string. I thought pulling his entire body could hurt him. I didn't buy iy.
Its up to you if you want to buy or not.
If people can't disagree with you as you've told them not to post, then all your replies are going to be yes go for it.
So you can't really get advice from other RU members.
So go for what you believe. :D

Thank you! My buns are wriggly but I think they'll calm down after their neuter/spay. :) I would get an extending lead for them. :D

I have shoulder harnesses, figure of 8 harness and h harness and i find that H harneses are the best for wriggerly buns :wave:

Thank you! My buns are wriggly but I think they'll calm down after their neuter/spay. :) I would get an extending lead for them. :D

Make sure you use the harness after 2 months of them being neutered, wait for the wound to heal and for their hormones to calm down.
I think you should wait a month after the wounds healed so the harness wont annoy the rabbit in that particular place.
:wave:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cat-harness-and-lead-with-polka-dots-by-pets-at-home-42624

I have that, yes I know its a cat one, the rabbit one would have been too small. I took introducing him to it REALLY slowly, I didnt actually properly take him out my room in it for 4 months. Because of this he is laid back as anything and doesnt mind it on. Now I just use it when my hamster is free-ranging, to help prevent accidents, better safe than sorry. I found it useless for going outside as they dont follow you like dogs do, or respond if you give the lead a tug, so he just wanted to sit still, and he could do that inside!

I would be wary of the extending leads, they have been known to be dangerous, dogs have had their necks broken by them. Freak accidents and unlikely, but still. The danger is that the extra length allows the animal to bolt and build up speed, then the line quickly runs out and the animal is brought to a sudden halt and all the force of their bolting goes through their neck (or with a harness their back). With a shorter lead they cant build up the momentum to start with.

Back