• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muesli Food for pellet intolerant rabbit?

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
Waffle cannot have pellets as when she does it causes her to go into stasis for some reason and instances of stasis have dramatically reduced since cutting out pellets.

I am however still a little worried about her getting all the nutrients she needs and wondered if someone could recommend me a good quality muesli food I could sample and try her with in the hope that won't upset her tummy.

Thanks

Rabbits are not designed to eat hard feed such as pellets/museli. Most of their absorbtion should occur in the hindgut. GI stasis occurs due to a blockage, probably due to pellets, so to be 100% honest I'd keep to a hay only diet :wave:

Rabbits are not designed to eat hard feed such as pellets/museli. Most of their absorbtion should occur in the hindgut. GI stasis occurs due to a blockage, probably due to pellets, so to be 100% honest I'd keep to a hay only diet :wave:

Ok will do. :wave:

She has hay and veggies/herbs and nothing else.

Radish would go on strike if I took away her pellets. :lol:

My boys existed on a veg and hay diet just fine for 5+ years. As long as you give her a wide variety of veg and good quality hay, she doesn't need pellets or mix at all. :)

No need to worry - most experienced rabbit vets these days are recommending cutting out all pellet feed anyway. Rabbits simply have no need for them! Muesli feeds are very unhealthy as rabbits cannot digest the outer hulls of the corn pieces which can lead to dangerous impactions.

The most healthy diet for a rabbit is unlimited good quality hay, along with a daily supply of fresh greens, including grass, herbs, salad leaves such as rocket, watercress, etc. This can be supplemented with apple, pear or willow tree branches (complete with leaves). Rabbits kept on this diet will be less likely to suffer from stasis and the good levels of moisture from the wet foods will maintain healthy bladder function.

Hope this helps,
Jenny

My vet suggested this too. My guys have free range access to the back garden and by trying to give them lots of different green foods, grass, herbs and weeds, then they will have better digestion and lesby potential for tooth problems. I tend to wean them onto a few pellets in winter because there is less good grazing for them and it gives them some extra energy to keep warm. At the moment they are being weaned off them again.

I have planted mixed salad leaves seeds today as well as some grazing mix grass in seed trays to give the foster buns some extra greenery through the summer.

To clarify, my rabbit Twinkle is on a hay only diet due to a problem tummy. My vet (who I 100% trust) says hay only diet is enough for a rabbit and they do not need anything else. They get all their nutrients from a good quality hay.

To clarify, my rabbit Twinkle is on a hay only diet due to a problem tummy. My vet (who I 100% trust) says hay only diet is enough for a rabbit and they do not need anything else. They get all their nutrients from a good quality hay.

I would be a bit concerned, to be honest. Whilst rabbits can obtain a lot of what they need from hay, they still need micronutrients which are present in fresh leafy greens. It's also the best way of ensuring that rabbits are getting a high enough moisture intake, which is necessary for keeping the gut well hydrated and the bladder healthy.

Have you tried introducing greens one at a time? That way you can see which ones Twinkle can tolerate. It might be best to try more natural things like freshly picked plantain, dandelion and young bramble leaves, rather than cultivated vegetables.

Jenny

I would be a bit concerned, to be honest. Whilst rabbits can obtain a lot of what they need from hay, they still need micronutrients which are present in fresh leafy greens. It's also the best way of ensuring that rabbits are getting a high enough moisture intake, which is necessary for keeping the gut well hydrated and the bladder healthy.

Have you tried introducing greens one at a time? That way you can see which ones Twinkle can tolerate. It might be best to try more natural things like freshly picked plantain, dandelion and young bramble leaves, rather than cultivated vegetables.

Jenny

Even fresh grass, dandelion, brambles gives her dysbiosis.

Back