• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies need space thoughts...

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
... in my mind a lot, becuase (a) I'm aware Spenser's current set-up isn't ideal and (b) I'm continually have visitors gasp at its hugeness. You can see the shock on their faces or hear it in their voices. Also, why do people think bunnies can be kept in small spaces, when in some cases they are as large or larger as small/medium dogs? Dogs, after all, generally get walked but rabbit free range time seems to be considered an optional extra. :?

How big is his set-up and what is it? I know, I really think I'm lucky that my dad knows they need space, but his friends (not really my mums) say 'oh, what a spoilt rabbit :)D), I would just stick it in a hutch to save you money' :(

I think it unfortunately stems from years ago when people had a rabbit that they would raise for meat, kept it in a small box and didn't think of it as a pet in anyway.

Others would then see this as the norm for keeping rabbits and confine a pet, one that would not be eaten, in the same sized box.

To my mind, rabbits should have the same amount of space as that given to a cat. Indeed, Louie is more active/covers more ground in a day than my cat ever does.

5X2 2 storey hutch. He has a Trixie pen on grass in the summer and slabs over the winter. He also gets almost daily indoor time (usually conservatory). Spenser is a poilt rabbit in terms of what I've spent on him, but not really compared to the space a lot of RU buns have.

Unfortunately with a lot of small animals (not just bunnies) very little progress has been made in the minds of the 'general public'. :(

Most people still think a 3 - 4 ft hutch is plenty big enough.....

It's only since I had my outdoor set-up built that next door suddenly started to give their hutch-bunny (approx 4ft hutch very poorly built) free range time. I think seeing how my rabbits love to run around and binky on the yard (large rabbit-proofed area) made them realise how much rabbits need and enjoy their space. They haven't upgraded the hutch though.

All my animals have 'wow loads of space' according to visitors yet to me they only have what space they need - including hamsters, mice etc. Space is so vital and is something I'm very passionate about for my pets. :)

It's bizarre isn't it - rabbits are often as big as a small/medium cat, and can prob run faster, but if you kept a cat in a hutch there would be an outcry.

I do think it's a hangover from when they were mainly meat animals.

Not sure what's to be done though...except what's being done already...slow progress though :(

I agree with just plain ignorance and old fashioned views. There were far many more years when it was acceptable to keep rabbits in small accommodation than where its been to keep them in larger accommodation, and it just takes some education for people to realise.

When people see mine they say its a 'mansion'. Yes it is fairly big but for 4 rabbits its required. People visiting can not understand why they need so much room and a hutch will do :roll: I suppose until people see for themselves actually how much space rabbits need they assume they are quite happy stuck in a box :(
I still get the guilt feeling of them not being able to run and properly sprint so am saving for a HUGGGEEEE metal run for the grass too. A run that I can keep adding panals to - until it takes over the whole garden - start small and gradually increase - my OH will never notice ;)

Spensers hutch is fine for him in my opinion but you are like me and always trying to make improvements which is great!

The small dog thing always runs through my mind too. In fact I had a rant this afternoon to Dad about it :oops: I think if more people saw just what their rabbits can do in a huge space they would realise.

Back