• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wendyhouse- is it possible to over insulate?

bunsterfied

Alpha Buck
I have finally got a wendyhouse for Peter and Lola, from Waltons. Had it put up by their team. Now need to customise - MAINLY to stop Peter reducing it to matchsticks .

I've had a quote from a local carpenter to completely line it in 12mm plywood, and insulate it all (including roof) then layer over some mesh to stop chewing, make a shelf, change the windows so they can be opened easilyif need be etc, make a hole for a Runaround flower opening door (like a catflap sort of thing) This will bring the total cost of the whole project to a grand!!!:shock: (he reckons 2 and a half days to do it all, based on £20 quid an hour plus materials) (price of house plus erecting £370, his side £640)

Have I completely lost my mind, I could maybe do a bodge job myself to line the bottom half of the wendyhouse, but you can see daylight out thru the walls in places. I'd have to get womeone to make the hole out to the run and buy the materials.

Thoughts please!!!!!!

I dream of a little house I can sit in with them on cold days, with a glass of wine or hot choc . His way will be Bunny paradise, but eye wateringly expensive.

I'll come and do it for half of what he's quoting :lol::lol:

Seriously I have insulated all of my wendy's myself and the sheds too and I am sure that anyone with a bit of DIY ability can do a good enough job. It just depends on how good a job you want.

They will almost certainly destroy your handiwork in time anyway so I'd have to say that it's more than I would dream of spending.

Can you get someone else to quote?

By the way rough prices for the work on mine would have been

Plywood - £22 a sheet for 9m or 12m I think - the enormous 2.2m lengths of metre wide. 2 sheets used for a 5x5 wendy that is not full height.

Bundle of timber for battens (Wickes rough sawn treated) about £12 a bundle and at most I think I would have used 2 bundles.

Insulation - I used bubble foil (Wickes) £17 a roll and possible two rolls at most

Screws, lino and sealent. I think that is about it.

Then paint, and decorations to suit.

I can't see how it could be £600 unless it was going to be massively complex.

My house is 6ft 5 x about 4ft, and up to 5ft 8 (my height!!!! why I chose this one!!!) I suppose it is the difference between a handyman charges and a trained carpenter, although a handyman here is Surrey can be more that £20 an hour - the council handyman scheme is £25 an hour and £10 to visit for a quote!!!!! (unless you are on benefit)

Does the insulation cause any damp to get between the layers of the wood outer and inner sections? Am hoping that I can stop chewing with the mesh , SURELY!!!!!!!!

Back