• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and cats...peace and harmony..?

Jodes

Mama Doe
Sorry if this is posted anywhere else...
I have just got my bunny,Diego and have 2 cats...Does anyone have any ideas on introducing etc? My year old cat was 'very interested' to the point of trying to jump out of my arms seeing digs in the lounge :/ Young cat dosent go out in the garden yet so hes in the bedroom when digs is out...
Many thanks in advance...

We got our two buns in October, and my OH already had a cat. The plan was to introduce them all so they could all be in the same room with supervision. But, although the cat is old and she's never killed anything in her life, it's the darting movement of the bunnies that makes the chasing instinct kick in. So we thought they'd be ok, we let them sniff each other in a small space and everything was fine, but when they were in the lounge together, Olly suddenly darted and tizer the cat chased him... We haven't tried it since. The buns now have their own room upstairs where the cat isn't allowed. It would have been nice to have them get along, but I just can't risk one of the buns getting hurt or scared :(

Although this isn't to say that would happen in your case, lots of people on here have cats and rabbits who get along :)

yea my mum's get on ok and she said just to supervise...?the older cat,baz has been around dig's area and looked at him today,sniffing etc but ozzy i just dont trust,like you say its the movement and hunting instinct just kicks in...just kinda want them to get on..? i guess its all a case of the waiting game... just dont want anyone to get hurt! xx

I have 10 cats (used to be 11) that love the bunnies. So it can be done. Rabbits are usually too large for cats to consider prey, even my little nethies. Just watch closely and make sure you can grab your cat if necessary before he's able to touch your rabbits. Even just a scratch can easily get infected.

We've just had blossom running around the living room (she hasn't been on the grass yet, just waiting for it to become a tad warmer) Mitzy is watching her in her large cage, I'd love to introduce but my OH is very nervous about it.

I just popped bun on the floor and let the cat come over and sniff. They tend to be more interested rather than aggressive (mine do, anyway). Only one of my three cats doesn't like the buns
Milly met Diggor for the first time properly since she settled in, she liked him

DSCF1293.jpg

I just popped bun on the floor and let the cat come over and sniff. They tend to be more interested rather than aggressive (mine do, anyway). Only one of my three cats doesn't like the buns
Milly met Diggor for the first time properly since she settled in, she liked him

DSCF1293.jpg

What a gorgeous picture! :love:

Back