• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop diggy box being used as a litter tray?!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I decided to give the buns a diggy box after reading about lots on here... I used the bottom of their pet carrier and filled it with shredded paper and hay. Big success, Honey, who lives digging, had a whale of a time making a big mess :) but now they're both using it as a toilet! How do you stop them doing that, or can you not? :? I don't really want to have 2 trays to clean every day when it's not really necessary!

By nature, when they dig, they scent (poo and spray) when they dig, to ensure that others rabbits know it is theirs. It is inevitable it will then become a litter tray. Changing the contents regularly should help it stay for the purpose you intended it, but you won't be able to beat nature.

By nature, when they dig, they scent (poo and spray) when they dig, to ensure that others rabbits know it is theirs. It is inevitable it will then become a litter tray. Changing the contents regularly should help it stay for the purpose you intended it, but you won't be able to beat nature.

Oh right, ok :( I just thought because loads of people seem to put treats etc in their digging boxes, surely they don't wee in them then?

Mine always did so we gave up and never bothered. In the summer they had a planter of soil and both weed and pooped in that but as it was in the garden it didn't matter.... maybe you could try that instead if your buns go outside?

Mine have constant access to one but I need to clean it more like a litter tray than anything else. Even the one which is soil/sand is used for droppings. A cat litter scoop is excellent for sifting them out!

It's not the droppings that are the problem (although there are lots!) it's the weeing :? And I don't want them to start eating less hay, especially Honey as she has the beginnings of spurs on her teeth. If she goes in her normal tray it's full of hay and she munches lots, but the digging box is mainly paper, so if she goes in there she won't be eating as much hay...

Why not put some hay in there too and use it as a large litter tray. She obviously likes it in there and if there is a favourite seeing spot, try putting the hay in the opposite corner. I have now given mine a big box of hay and litter as their litter tray and done away with a separate one because they were going in the box more.

Mine always did so we gave up and never bothered. In the summer they had a planter of soil and both weed and pooped in that but as it was in the garden it didn't matter.... maybe you could try that instead if your buns go outside?

Ditto. N&S will wee on anything soft and spongy for some time until they get used to it. I gave up with them in the end. Nutmeg uses the litter tray for a digging box :roll::lol:

Ditto. N&S will wee on anything soft and spongy for some time until they get used to it. I gave up with them in the end. Nutmeg uses the litter tray for a digging box :roll::lol:

:lol: yes that's what Honey was doing, which is why I thought a separate digging box would solve the problem! Now she just has 2 litter trays to dig up!! :roll: :?

Back