• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cost of 3 rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've only just got Archie and Molly so I will definetly wait for at least a year, to give them time to settle in, get used to me etc. but I would eventually like to get another rabbit. How much extra does 3 rabbits cost compared to 2? I thought the main cost would probably be vaccinations. Also what size would a hutch need to be for 3 rabbits?

I don't think you'd see much of a difference food wise. I have 3 and did have 4 until Izzy passed away and didn't notice a difference with cost. No idea about vaccs and accommodation though. You'd also need to have space in your yard for an extra hutch/run just in case a trio didn't work out.

you've only had your first too a week and only just got a hutch :shock:

I think the recomened is a 6ft X 3ft hutch with attatched run but cant be sure.
I know alot of people tho that have trouble bonding a trio so you have to think about what if that happens ?
You would have to get another hutch, find another friend or even rehome again.
If your two buns are happy together then you dont want to break up a close bond by bringing in a third bunny.

you've only had your first too a week and only just got a hutch :shock:

I think the recomened is a 6ft X 3ft hutch with attatched run but cant be sure.
I know alot of people tho that have trouble bonding a trio so you have to think about what if that happens ?
You would have to get another hutch, find another friend or even rehome again.

I know I haven't had them long which is why I said I'd wait at least a year until to make sure they've settled in well etc. I am just thinking for the future. It would be at least a year, probably even longer really, as it might have to be when I move out. I just want to eventually have 3, so this could be years away yet but I'm just thinking about it, and it might not even happen.

If your two buns are happy together then you dont want to break up a close bond by bringing in a third bunny.

This is something I'm worried about. I think I'm going to think about it for a while but as I said I won't even consider getting a third rabbit for a couple of years, to make sure I could provide a good home for another rabbit because of the cost of it all and also because I don't know much about rabbit bonding etc. and it could all go wrong.

wow what a quick decision to make! :shock: You must have caught the bunny bug! :love: :lol: It costs an extra £40 for vaccinations and £100 plus for housing if the don't bond. :wave:

My rough spending for 3 rabbits:
vaccinations: £10 per month
Hay: £22 per month (hay for pets)
pellets: £1 per month? (wagg)
veg: £5 per month? (grocer, reduced stuff in supermarkets)
aubiose: £2 per month, max.

Obviously vaccinations are a big extra expense but you will be using 50% extra food and hay than you are now which is a massive difference.
My Eli is a big boy so doubled the amount of hay I had to buy when I got him. :shock:

You could always ask at your vet if you could get a discount on your jabs if you take all 3 along at the same time.

I'm not sure what you'd need space wise, but I'd always go as big as you reasonably can :)

wow what a quick decision to make! :shock: You must have caught the bunny bug! :love: :lol: It costs an extra £40 for vaccinations and £100 plus for housing if the don't bond. :wave:

I'm not going to make this decision quickly, which is why I'm going to think about it for the next couple of years. I'm 99% sure I won't be able to get another rabbit until I move out anyway and that's probably a couple of years away, so I'm just thinking about the costs now so I know as much about it as possible then I'll decide nearer the time. I'm definetly not getting another rabbit any time soon

Back