• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with outhouse conversion!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Hey...

Now that 3 of the baby girls are staying instead of just the 1... we have 5 buns in total! The house just isn't big enough to have them all running free range and I don't feel the dog pen gives them enough room when they need to be locked in.

Sooo... we're gunna fix up our stone outhouse. It's 5 foot by 11 foot with a sort of archway in the middle.

It has 2 HUGE windows on it which is pretty thick glass but... I'm not happy with it being soo open. So, I need idea on how to cover it!
Was figuring we could attach wire mesh onto it, needs to be thick and tough as I don't want anyone getting in through the windows. So, which is best?

There's also a hole in the brickwork, we're bricking it up so that's not a problem and it's a pretty easy job!

Next, the door is pretty heavy and made of really thick, tough wood but I'm worried about opening it and all the buns running out! So, how do I stop that? Do I get a 1/2 foot high piece of wood and attach it behind the door so they can't run out?

Also, as I said, the whole thing is made out of stone and bricks. I want to make it a comfortable as possible. What is best to do on the floor? I have a lot of lino left over as we are replacing the kitchen floor. Should I buy some underlay to made it extra comfy and warm? They're used to it anyway from living in the house.

Lastly, how do I make it as fab as possible? Do I get a hutch to put in, even though it'll take up room? Or do I put it on big legs so they can go under? Or do I build different levels out of wood (which wood?)

It's too late to take pics now but any help would be appreciated! Especially on the wire mesh front as I'm looking for some now!

Thank you!!! xxx

I read that as 'outhouse conversation' :shock::lol:

An outhouse here is a portable toilet, I was trying to imagine why you needed to have a conversation in an outhouse :lol:

As for conversion... i would use lino on the floor, no hutch since that'll just take up space. and for the buns possibly running out the door when you open, could you put a baby gate on the door? I did that with my bedroom door to keep Izzy from running out.

Hey
Definitely use under lay under the lino as you've already mentioned it will make it more confier for the buns.
Skim the walls with an insulater skim paste sorry I don't know what its called but I've described it in 3 words.:)
Cover the windows with square weld mesh I think it'll be alright.
Add layers instead of a hutch with strong wood.
Offer lots of hiding places.
Add a piece of wood at the entrance so they won't run out when the door opens.
Are they going to have an attached run?
:wave:

LOL!!!!! At all of you!!! HAHAHA.

I don't usually use public toilets (massive fear!) so that would have been an especially unusual title!!!

Yerp, attached run is going to be popped on! Having to turf the garden first though, so that'll be getting done in the next few weeks!
Going to get the OH to either build one (if we can!) in an aviary style I think...

Back