• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can you answer some questions about spay

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
A couple of questions, I asked on my other thread but I think people must have missed them

I am bringing her and her husbun indoors so I can keep a close eye on her, she is having the op on Monday so should I bring her in tonight so she gets used to her indoor area or wait until tomorrow or Monday?

How much space should I allow her - I do not want her to race around and harm herself?

What medication should she come home from the vets with?

What bedding should I use for her whilst she is in recovery?

What about litter trays, should they just have a pad in or be kept as normal with megazorb and hay?

Anything else I should know?

I am really worried and trying not to let her see this, she is so trusting, and please tell me I am doing the right thing having her spayed.

A couple of questions, I asked on my other thread but I think people must have missed them

I am bringing her and her husbun indoors so I can keep a close eye on her, she is having the op on Monday so should I bring her in tonight so she gets used to her indoor area or wait until tomorrow or Monday?

How much space should I allow her - I do not want her to race around and harm herself?

What medication should she come home from the vets with?

What bedding should I use for her whilst she is in recovery?

What about litter trays, should they just have a pad in or be kept as normal with megazorb and hay?

Anything else I should know?

I am really worried and trying not to let her see this, she is so trusting, and please tell me I am doing the right thing having her spayed.

No its great your getting her spayed it has many advantages.
Keep her in her normal acommodation she won't be too stressed out then, if she's kept in a big space her stitches could become undone.
Use newspaper as bedding its soft :D
Make sure hays available to her all the time.

You are doing the right thing, I know because I lost a lovely bun to uterine cancer.

It wouldn't harm to take her inside now and get her settled.
I usually keep mine in a dog crate, on towels and put hay in a hay rack, it often takes a couple of days before they are back to full munching!
She should come home with pain medication and advise that if she isn't eating after 24 hours to go back.
I don't tend to bother with litter trays, I just let them pick a corner and clean out daily, it means they don't have to go over a ledge with a sore tummy.

The main thing is to keep her warm after the op because they cannot control the body temperature and to make sure you get her eating- get in food she likes, organic baby food and wild herbs she may eat. Mine always go for dandelion!

Good luck, I'm sure she will be fine!

I would keep things as normal as possible, just reduce her space for a fortnight as there is a risk of a hernia if she exercises excessively. I just use their normal trays, it might be nice for her to come in tonight so that she is used to the pen.

I've never been given meds but you could be given baytril and metacam for afterwards

Medication - PAIN RELIEF! Check in advance that your vet provides this and if they don't - change vet! Imagine how you would feel if you had a hysterectomy with no pain relief.

Bedding - something soft and non-scratchy. You don't want bits of straw poking into her wound whenever she lies down. I favour pale coloured fleece blankets or similar because - I know this sounds pessimistic - if something goes wrong and there *is* bleeding from the wound, you'll be more likley to notive it on a pale blanket.

Keep her warm too as the general anaesthetic will have lowered her body temperature.

Don't hassle her too much, but do check on her to make sure she's eating and pooing. Offer her a variety of foods so she's more likely to find something she fancies.

Good luck, I'm sure she will be fine :)

:wave: Hi,
I'm looking for advice too. If you do fing blood, should you call the vets or wait and watch? Also, is it the same answers for a boys neuter? :wave::D

:wave: Hi,
I'm looking for advice too. If you do fing blood, should you call the vets or wait and watch? Also, is it the same answers for a boys neuter? :wave::D

I would call the vet if there was blood. Bunny should not be bleeding from her spay wound - it may mean she's chewed her stitches out and will need emergency care. Same for boys. :)

And if you're concerned about anything at all - always call the vet - you won't necesarily have to take bun in, just explain what is bothering you, and they can tell you whether it needs treatment or not. :)

Thank you for the advice everybody, I have set a pen up indoors and brought them in, they are sitting eating hay at the moment, they do not look too stressed by the change

Back