• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like such an idiot. 2 'wild' rabbits now :(

zayna1

Warren Scout
They're bonded, and both seem happy, they groom, cuddle, run around binkying etc. They spend all day together. But the older bun was always quite 'wild' and no matter what i've tried, nothing seems to work. I know it needs time, but when you're not getting anywhere it seems like nothings happening :(. The younger bun used to be really affectionate, until my parents made me house them back outside. They were both doing well inside. My older bun was actually making a lot of progress, and he would come over to me and take food from my hand (he always has done) but still wouldn't let me touch him. He was becoming a lot more confidant around me also. Now the younger bun is getting really scares of me, and won't let me touch her. If I do, she'll run, when she used to purr :( I feel so stupid. Everyone else seems to have rabbits that aren't scared of them, and who are comfortable around them, even if they don't like being stroked. Am I doing something wrong? I never yell at them, and spend hours sitting on the floor with them. They will walk up to me and sniff me, but then they'll just ignore me. When i'm standing up or walking they run away, (this is when i'm in their 'run' area) unless its feeding time, when the little one will wander around my legs, but the older bun sort of 'hides' but can be coaxed out...:( I don't get it. I feel like i've done something terrible to bailey, to make her scared of me, when she used to be so loving. She just doesn't trust me anymore. And this got worse since they've been living outside...

No, mine is the same - he's 3 now and I've had him since he was 8 weeks. He is a very nervous bun. he loves to jump on me for cuddles WHEN he wants to - rare but if I go to him he will run. He has free range in the garden so catching him to put him back in the aviary is sometimes tricky. Have to try and out-wit him. :lol: He is crafty - he'll run to his toilet area cos he knows I won't rush him there - and then when I think he's had enough time to do his business I'll bend to get him and he's off. It makes me laugh.

I think it's cos they're outside - need their wits about them in case of preditors...

I think there are some buns that will always be wary of someone so much bigger than them. When they are around you all the time indoors they do become totally used to you, but when they are outdoors you are around them a lot less.

3 out of my 4 buns are very wary of me, so I understand how you feel. I find the best way is to make sure you feed them their food and treats by hand. Things like dandelion leaves and flowers make a great treat that they will often munch down straight away. Also just sit with them and be as still as possible. If you're still they might come over to you and be comfortable around you.

:wave: My 2 are exactly the same - outdoor buns do need to be more alert than indoor buns. If I just walked over the the girls run & lifted the lid up they would run inside to hide. but I always say ''morning bunny girls''. They know my voice & know it means food so they run to me & grunt at me until they get it!! :roll:

Back