• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrier problem - he's not playing tonight

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hi
I'm having right problems with Jenson today, he just won't go in his carrier.

I've given up for a bit because he will get too stressed out.

Currently we're at my parents, we've been here for a few days and although he was difficult to get in the carrier to come here, he was fine once he was in and even better once on the motorway (almost the whole journey is motorway or dual carriageway).

Today, no such luck, I've tried putting him in it while in his run, nope (just me getting scratched) and so I tried in his cage, nope, he just learnt to jump onto top of the carrier and fell off (so now I'm stressing he's hurt although he doesn't flinch when I feel his legs to check).

Any suggestions, I'm getting desperate. He's got his towel so it's soft and smells like him, hay, treats, greens and pellets all in there. And I've had to walk away because I'm getting stressed and don't want to stress him.

oh no, i'm sorry :(

can you maybe leave it in with him for an hour or so and see if he will go in by himself?
with his fav food and hay in the back?

Hi
I'm having right problems with Jenson today, he just won't go in his carrier.

I've given up for a bit because he will get too stressed out.

Currently we're at my parents, we've been here for a few days and although he was difficult to get in the carrier to come here, he was fine once he was in and even better once on the motorway (almost the whole journey is motorway or dual carriageway).

Today, no such luck, I've tried putting him in it while in his run, nope (just me getting scratched) and so I tried in his cage, nope, he just learnt to jump onto top of the carrier and fell off (so now I'm stressing he's hurt although he doesn't flinch when I feel his legs to check).

Any suggestions, I'm getting desperate. He's got his towel so it's soft and smells like him, hay, treats, greens and pellets all in there. And I've had to walk away because I'm getting stressed and don't want to stress him.

what type of carrier is it?? is it just like a cat carrier??

i know this might sound mean but maybe just pick him up and put him in there really quick so he hasnt got too long to panic about it :)

Oh dear. I'm afraid Spenser just gets shoved in his carrier when needs must. He's in it every day though as he prefers travelling by carrier to being picked up. Maybe Jenson disliked the journey more than you thought and now associates the carrier with being confined for a long time. Not your fault - if bunnies have to travel they must go in a carrier.

All his favourite food is in and I've come away and I'm upstairs because I'm getting upset because I'm being beaten by a bunny! :shock::oops:

It is a cat carrier, he's just so quick. I've tried all sorts and he's just not having it, he can turn back on himself so quick so before his tail is in is nose is back out again!

I need to get him home today so he's got tomorrow and most of Monday to chill because he's going for his myxi jab.

what about if you get him for a cuddle
then, while you are hugging and stroking him, get someone else to chuck a towel over him real quick.
then wrap him up tight before he has a chance to escape and then you'll be able to put him in all wrapped up.
soon as you let go once he's in the carrier, he can wriggle out of the towel

(easier said than done lol. and only works if he likes cuddles lol)

All his favourite food is in and I've come away and I'm upstairs because I'm getting upset because I'm being beaten by a bunny! :shock::oops:

It is a cat carrier, he's just so quick. I've tried all sorts and he's just not having it, he can turn back on himself so quick so before his tail is in is nose is back out again!I need to get him home today so he's got tomorrow and most of Monday to chill because he's going for his myxi jab.

I can really sympathise. Ideally what I do with Spenser is enlist one or two helpers (either or both parents) and chase him into a corner so that the only direction he can go is into the carrier. Nobody likes frightening their bunny, but it has to be done and in Spenser's case I think he sees it at least partly like a game - and one he is VERY good at.

Susie, sounds like fun if it takes three of you! :shock:
I do try to put the carrier in his run so he can play with it so he doesn't just associate it with the vet or the motorway!

I managed to get him in the carrier in the end, I think he gave up because he was being quite the dominant bunny and then somehow, nothing different, I managed it.
So then it was mad dash to pack up his cage and run and get everything in the car so he's not in it for longer than I need him to be.

Stupid thing is, once he's in and we get going he's fine and seems to doze most of the way (when I'm not chatting to him anyway :oops:)
So now I need luck to be able to pop him back in on Monday!

You have my full sympathy - I have 2 naughty bunny girls!!!
Sophie has to go to the vets to have bottom clipping every few weeks (soon to be every fortnight with summer coming up :roll:) As the vets is only 5 mins away I take her on her own. She's not too bad to get in there.....But.... When it's time for vaccs etc and I have to take the pair of them - they literally run rings round me!!!!
I have to plan the 'bunny capture' with precision otherwise we'd never make a vets appointment :roll:

Rosie HATES being picked up & HATES the carrier too & she is SO quick. I have to get Sophie in the carrier first, Then like Susiebun I have to get Rosie in a small space & put a towel over her & get her in the carrier REALLY quickly before she struggles & before Sophie escapes!!

It really is a performance!!! Rosie thumps in the carrier all the way to the vets & in the waiting room too - When she is captured she is one ANGRY :evil: bunny girl!!!

Good job I love her :love:

Back