• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

Alicia

Mama Doe
Sorry, I know I've asked about bedding before. My rabbits are currently bedded on woodshavings which I know isn't great, and I was wondering if it would be ok to change them onto newspaper and straw as a bedding with their hay in their hay box?

I use newspapers and hay with my two and in their hutch (it has the doors taken off), i have some cushions and a blanket and a towel. They generally prefer the concrete floor though! :lol:

Sorry, I know I've asked about bedding before. My rabbits are currently bedded on woodshavings which I know isn't great, and I was wondering if it would be ok to change them onto newspaper and straw as a bedding with their hay in their hay box?

Why not use newspaper and hay as their bedding? You're right, woodshavings aren't recommended (you've read about the dangers). If they have hay as their bedding, as well as a haybox, they'll nibble away at it - the more hay the better.

Last edited:
Thats all I use.Hay with a generous layer of newspaper underneath.
Megazorb for litter tray with newspaper lining and hay to nibble!!:wave:

I would but I have guinea-pigs as well and using hay as a bedding would work out quite expensive. I don't mind spending the money but to get hay I'd have to ask my Mum to take me to the pet shop (the pet shop near me has really bad quality hay so I go to one that I can only get to by driving) and although I could pay for it I don't think she'd want to drive me that often to get hay. One large bag lasts my pets just under a week as it is :?

I would but I have guinea-pigs as well and using hay as a bedding would work out quite expensive. I don't mind spending the money but to get hay I'd have to ask my Mum to take me to the pet shop (the pet shop near me has really bad quality hay so I go to one that I can only get to by driving) and although I could pay for it I don't think she'd want to drive me that often to get hay. One large bag lasts my pets just under a week as it is :?

I'm sure your mum wouldn't mind if she knew how much better it was for them - and lots of people say you shouldn't use it for g/pigs anyway.
Why not buy your hay on-line, or increase the amount you get when you go to the shop, so that you still only go once a week.

Charlie has fleece upstairs on his hutch and LOADS of hay in his "hide away" section up- stairs..Then down in his run is his litter tray, which is newspaper and hay :)

Why not buy a bale from a farm?? Would last ages at 4 or 5 quid......:wave:

I'm thinking of doing this, though I've heard some things about wild rabbits coming into contact with bales of hay and my rabbits aren't vaccinated against VHD (they are getting vaccinated next week) so I think I might get some farm hay after they are vaccinated. It may only be a small risk but I don't want to risk it.
I have 3 guinea-pig hutches, and 2 of them have vetbed as the bedding and the other has wood shavings because it is the only bedding I have found that is absorbant enough for my guinea-pigs that pee loads :lol:
I might try the hay and newspaper then, thank you :)

Baled hay would work out much less expensive. Shavings (unless they're aspen or another safe hardwood) are extremely bad, just not worth the risk, at all. On guineapigcages most people use fleece blankets and hay. :wave:

I've tried fleece and vetbed with the guinea-pigs, but it's soaked within a couple of hours. I don't understand why because the vetbed stays dry on top for a couple of days with my other guinea-pigs. I might try megazorb or something like that with them. I would try newspaper and hay with them too but I don't think it's very absorbent so it probably won't be very good for them.

Back